The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Tony's restoration of Steve's old knacker  (Read 7878 times)

Dustybin

Re: Tony's restoration of Steve's old knacker
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
Any one want chips with their Flat spots on the bearing surfaces?
Where is my cheque book :'(

Dustybin

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »
Anyway plugging on with the frame, Steve has advised me to do the lions share of the paint stripping before sending the frame off for media blasting however I have some unwanted tabs and fittings on the frame to remove first, namely the centre and side stand fixtures.
These are substantial lumps of metal that required some new hacksaw blades and grinder wheels.
The final image shows most of the cutting work completed but still with some final dressing to carry out. other unwanted bit that were removed were the old broken coil mounts and what looks like a flasher or relay mount up by the head tube on the left hand side. Anyway all gone and now for the powder coat which is already a chore :-/!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:43:12 PM by Dustybin »

Dustybin

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »
By the way currently (and you have to appreciate this is a moving target depending on my mood) this is what i want to model the r65 after to give you an idea.

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Lighter, Faster, where's me hacksaw!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 02:19:21 AM »
That is a nice blue.  I am sure, however, that it would look even nicer if you did the frame, and swing arm the same colour.......It's not my bike, its not my bike, repeat after me, its not my bike...

Tony is taking the frame, etc , to be blasted today.  It will be interesting to see what happens next.
Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)

AlfromNH

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 06:20:58 AM »
To each his own, etc etc, and I do think that's a cool looking bike. But every time I see a seat like that I wonder how rideable the bike really is. How long could you sit in that seat? I don't think I could tolerate it very long, myself. :-/

MR.E

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 11:01:33 AM »
Tony

Always nice to see a project go on the bench.
Look forward to seeing it progress.

Elliott

Dustybin

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »
I know what you are saying about the seat but for long trips I have an R100GS, this bike is a going to a bit of a street bike for local use ;)

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
About an hour to an hour and a half.  It was fine for that long.  And that's the longest I have ridden it

The café Racer seat had less padding, but then you were leant forward, which took a lot of weight off you Arse.....And onto your wrists.  Could empty the tank in that configuration.

You do get used to it and it also depends on the quality of the roads.

Rev Light

Dustybin

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
Cylinders removed today to look for a supposed push rod seal leak. But on closer inspection there appears to be a leak from the cylinder bases on both sides. No gasket here only a rubber O'ring.
Funny thing is I had just the same leak from My R100GS. And on identifying it as the leak point I put in a gasket and O ring supplied with a kit I got from Motobins. On this occasion only one side was leaking so I still have the other gasket and o ring.
This brings up the question for the R65 - Should a gasket be fitted or just new O'rings as neither side has had a gasket fitted in the past?  :-/ Assuming that Motobins supply both options as they did in the past.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:13:44 PM by Dustybin »

Dustybin

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »
Well no pictures today but the frame parts are all away at the powder coater for a layer of satin black ( sorry Steve but the bike is mine now) will be done by Tuesday. The blasting process was a bit aggressive to get the old coat off and left a pitted finish to the frame but the powder coater said they can get over this.
Also the engine is back together after the cylinders were removed to resolve the oil leaks. I am going to try and give it a bit of a clean on the weekend, nothing too drastic got to keep a bit of patina on the old girl!

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 03:05:06 AM »
You need a 'scotchbright' rotary disk in your drill.

Not too heavy and no polishing!  polishing is for those folks with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do.

Time to do it is now, whilst the engine is out of the frame.

That way you can reach all those bits that you cannot when she is all built up.

Dustybin

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 03:51:11 PM »
Well the frame came back early from the powder coaters and is now sat in the garage looking resplendent. Not bad for £50! Anyway it's given me a kick up the chuff so the tank went off to the painters this afternoon and may be back before xmas! Assuming I can decide what colour it's going to be. Turns out the painter has got a gap in his books and can get right on to it - result! Anyway Azure Blue (RAL 5009) and some gloss black on the undersides and around the lower edges to slim the tank a bit.
Got to get back on the net to get some new swing arm and head bearings... where's my plastic?
This Christmas we shall be mainly building a motor cycle! :D

Dustybin

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 03:25:49 PM »
Lets get started then nice clean frame meet the not so nice and clean engine and transmission mind you not so bad at 35 yrs old, but a bit like triggers broom old but with six new handles and 12 new brush heads! Any way I shall be rebuilding this bike little and often over the next few weeks and will update with each major step. :)

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 02:53:29 AM »
It begins.....

Dustybin

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 07:01:55 AM »
Tank is back today just a quick peak to see how it looks, will need to get new badges for it though.
Still messing about with the swing arm and drive shaft and after recent spline topics I will be looking at the final drive before it goes back on!