The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Tony's restoration of Steve's old knacker  (Read 7893 times)

Dustybin

Tony's restoration of Steve's old knacker
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:25:09 PM »
Steve has asked me to start this thread so that you can all see what a chancer and bodge merchant he really is! The opportunity to slag off the PO will be backed up with photographic evidence so he can squirm as much as he likes but a picture is worth a thousand words :D

So from 5 yards there does not appear to be much wrong with Ruby but once ridden and viewed closely a number of issues arise.
1. paintwork, the frame has dulled and faded to orange and in places has extensive cracking. The tank is dented on the left side.
2. The drive train has some slack/backlash on taking up the clutch. This apparently can be ridden around but i'd like to be concentrating on where I am going rather than trying to find a smooth gear change. I am led to believe that this is associated with a worn sprung drive shaft which will need to be addressed.
3. The saddle while looking the part is not padded enough and will need to be re-upholstered.
4. The wiring has been simplified but originates from the original loom. This could do with a bit more tidying, mainly for ease of maintenance.

So lets start with a few pics of Ruby in My Garage, by the way the fat bloke is Steve! :'( 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:29:06 PM by Dustybin »

Offline montmil

• Mt. Olympus Resident
Re: Tony's restoration of Steve's old knacker
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »
Whoa, Tony! Best to play nice while you're getting Steve's uh, your R65 sorted.

Old saying around Texas farms and ranches... Don't cuss the farmer with your mouth full.  ;)
Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

Dustybin

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 12:16:04 AM »
Don't worry montmil , my brother and I are quite happy to exchange a bit of banter. He is no doubt thinking up a repost for your entertainment as we speak! ;)
On another note, this bike is to all intents and purposes already mocked up with many of the mods and the looks I want from this machine, I am very pleased to have the opportunity to to refinish it in my own style with very few repairs and adjustments required other than those mentioned. Starting from scratch would be a very different project to undertake. It has been 10 long years since Steve did his original cafe racer customisation on it, which for many bikes is as long as they last these days
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:32:55 AM by Dustybin »

Dustybin

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 01:09:24 AM »
Just for a bit more info a picture of the remaining electrical goodies, note just the one relay (starter) and the k100 twin coils a mod that was required after the original coil mounts failed!
And of course the dented tank..... as a result of a minor 'in garage' accident.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:10:45 AM by Dustybin »

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Lighter, Faster, where's me hacksaw!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 03:12:44 AM »
Okay, we all like to have a little go at the PO ;)

Actually I was present when Tony opened this thread, so I was aware of what was being written.  I have punted around enough barbed comments to others in the past.  I cannot expect never to be on the receiving end - especially when it is warranted.

1. Frame paint and tank dent.  It is no secret that I was very disappointed with the powder coating on the frame of my bike, right from the outset.  This is more down to the poor job carried out by the powder coaters that the process itself, as it was put on far too thick.   It was a cost compromise forced on me by my long suffering wife, when I let slip how much the proper paint job was going to cost....That'll learn us!   However, the fading is an issue and goes to show you that some colours are more susceptible to fading than others.  

The tank dent was caused by the BMW side stand collapsing, which they are prone to do, so be warned.  That said, you could regard it as 'Patina' as it tells a story......

2. Drive shaft, I am assuming that the play is in the sprung area, as there is a little bit of 'take up' when you let the clutch out in first gear, when moving off, some times - you learn to let the clutch out gently.  It is not an issue once on the move.  Remember, this bike has done over 110,000 miles.  We will also be looking at the splines and UJ in the drive shaft as well, but they were okay when I first built the bike and this issue was present from day one (well 2001).  but for all the play in the spring area, it will never fail, unless brutalized by a Muppet.

3. The saddle is slim, but like everything, you get used to it.  Having said that, I would not necessarily like to tour France on it.  It has more padding in it than the previous café racer seat, but then you are sat back, and more upright.  I have ridden it for an hour or more, each way and been fine.

4.  Wiring. when I stripped out the indicator/Hazard warning and utility wiring from the original harness, I lost 50% of the original loom.  Under the tank could do with a little tidying, as it was wired with what I had left over from the original loom.  But I never had any issues with it and it has lasted far longer than a Honda warrantee! (Tony works for Honda).  I just clamped it down under a cover and forgot about it.

I am hopeful that Tony can fix these minor issues, and refresh the bike so that it does not need to looked at for another 20+ years or more.  With the lessons I have learned, he should be able to achieve this.  As long as the accountants do not step in and force any more compromises!

I am letting Tony do all the stripping down, so he can familiarize himself with the bike.  I am around for consultation and the occasional lift.  He is aware that for all its issues, he has got a pretty good deal, with all the high value accessories fitted to the bike.  Surefoot stand, wire wheels, ebc disk, stainless steel braided hose, Koni shocks, post 81 unleaded heads, new pistons, exhaust mods, headlight ears, speedo, polished triple trees, recent tyres, alloy mudguards, etc.  

Having said that, the first real issue we are going to face is getting the old powder coating off the frame?  Can it be sand blasted like paint?  Or do we have to resort to another process?

Rev Light
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:22:55 AM by steve_hawkins »
Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)

AlfromNH

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 09:53:26 AM »
I like the coil mount mod. I may have to do a version of that, my front coil mount is broken also.

Nice bike, I look forward to watching the process  :)

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 01:58:23 AM »
Its a second hand BMW K100 coil, bought from Motorworks.

Simple enough wiring exercise.

Its been on for some years, no issues yet.

Cheers

Rev. Light

Offline Lucky_Lou

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • shoot first
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »
Should be quicker when Tony has finished as he looks a few Lbs lighter than the reverend  [smiley=lolk.gif]
Lou
Ask questions later

Dustybin

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:27:51 AM »
Steve is already back on his diet, funnily enough :D
Mind you I really should be joining him to get the best out of the bike ::)

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 02:12:48 AM »
Ain't it about time you put another picture up, rather than discussing my weight.

Anyway, currently, I suspect that Tony is actually heavier than me, the cheeky git!

Almost ready to remove the front forks. I believe.

Rev. Lighter

Dustybin

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 12:51:28 AM »
Well as Steve says its about time for more photos, the first one is continuing with the dismantling process, most of the wiring has been removed with the front forks etc. That fine look man is me and yes I too need to go on a diet... just thought I'd get that in before you lot!
The second is some testing of paint stripper on the powder coat, which does appear to have the required effect.
and the third is a is the growing mound of removed parts that will all need cleaning before refitting!

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 02:06:19 AM »
You can sure see the depth of the old powder coating.

Ah well, stripping soon.

It will be interesting to watch...... ;)

Rev. light

Dustybin

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »
Well its all in bits, now is the time for a bit of metal work and paint stripping before a the frame goes for bead blasting.
Iam going to remove the remains of the old coil mounts, and the centre stand mounts as well as a few other bits and bobs that are no longer required, I shall then roughen up the surface of the frame and apply some stripper to remove the bulk of the old powder coating. Just a few minor little jobs to do (remove the shaft from the swing arm and knock out the head races) before this job can commence.
Plenty of time to needle Steve with my colour choices :D
We do differ in this regard but since I am the new owner final choice is mine!  

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 02:12:58 AM »
Yep, we are going to cut of the main stand tangs and the side stand tang, leaving only the engine mounting points - see second picture on Tony's last mail.

And then tidy up the aft coil mount.

Time to break out the grinder.

Lots of sparks!

Cheers

Rev. Light

Dustybin

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
Steering head bearings out (using steves patented drill holes in the head tube) but looking worse for wear. Still smooth but will replace as they are out.

Then onto the drive shaft. Now I know we have problems in this area as the bike has a certain amount of 'take up' when moving off in first and requires delicate clutch operation. So we were expecting to see some wear..... and we did!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:32:56 PM by Dustybin »