Technically I should put the final drive seal kit through it, but the oil level is now so low in the final drive that it will not leak during the test. I am loathe to use the seal kit as I have a 32/10 final drive somewhere between the USA and here and I'd prefer to wait until it arrives and then use the kit on it if needed.
The final electrical problems where (for the benefit of anyone interested), no tail or brake light, and only the left front blinker was working.
Prior preliminary testing indicated that there was power to the brake light switches, the blinker relay and to the harness socket leading to the rear lights.
The blinker relay was marked with a GMH (General Motors Holden, a semi-indigenous auto manufacturer about to cease production). I could not remember if it was fitted when i bought the R65 or if i had swapped it out, for that matter I couldn't remember if the blinkers were working when I bought the bike - that was not a priority at the time.
I bought a new after-market blinker relay, just in case I paid extra for one that will work with LED lights - sadly i still had exatly one working blinker, although when I selected right blinker the relay made some rather horrid noises.
Because the job looked easier, I switched at this point to the tail/brake lights. I cleaned the terminals, taking the opportunity to fit the "innards" from the better condition tail light I bought form Germany. I also tested the power connecters back to the plug and socket at the front of the sub-frame and in the process discovered a lot of corrosion on the earth connector.
Cleaned that up and I had tail and brake lights.
Still no blinkers, pulled all the blinkers apart, cleaned the lamp connectors, replaced one lamp that looked dodgy and put back together. Yay, had LHS blinkers, but the RHS blinked once and then the relay resumed making horrid noises.
Penny dropped. Took handlebar switch off and blasted with contact cleaner, followed by CRC. all blinkers now work.
Wired a 4" LED light strip to the parking circuit and fitted below headlight.
Job done. refitted tool trays so I can carry tools and multimeter. Rang friend and by the time anyone reads this I will be off on a 100km test ride.
Let you know how that goes on return.