The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Tony's restoration of Steve's old knacker  (Read 7879 times)

AlfromNH

Re: Tony's restoration of Steve's old knacker
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 11:36:17 AM »
Back to that jig you used to remove the driveshaft- is there a thread for that, and is my '79 put together the same? Thanks, your bike is looking good!

Dustybin

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »
The jig is a bit of a Heath Robinson affair which came from next door,it was a bit of a struggle to use. To be honest it could do with some improvement particularly with the top beam which should be wider so that a bigger hole can be bored through it. Also some extra locking nuts on the bottom to stop the threaded bar from rotating and some large washers under the top nuts would also be useful.
As for the drive shaft, I am thinking that this is standard from 79 bikes onward

AlfromNH

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 09:30:25 AM »
My Clymer's manual show a big nut on the rear end of the driveshaft. I wasn't seeing a nut, but now I understand. I need to compress the whole assembly, the remove the retaining ring.

Another special tool, $76 from cycleworks. I like your idea better.  8-)

Offline Rob Valdez 79 R65

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 09:58:07 PM »
other unwanted bit that were removed were the old broken coil mounts and what looks like a flasher or relay mount up by the head tube on the left hand side.
That would have been the turn signal beeper mount.

Offline Rob Valdez 79 R65

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 10:16:29 PM »
Back to that jig you used to remove the driveshaft- is there a thread for that, and is my '79 put together the same? Thanks, your bike is looking good!
I found this one:
http://www.bmwr65.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1344825707/10#10

in which the author linked to this page:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18935395&postcount=8

...for a welded one.

...and another one from the advrider page:
http://www.krypton.plus.com/blog/driveshafttool.htm
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 10:30:53 PM by Rob_Valdez_79_R65 »

AlfromNH

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 06:33:53 AM »
Thanks Rob!

Dustybin

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 01:32:04 PM »
Couldn't help myself been slaving on the bike all day so thought I'd put the tank back on just to get a look see. Just about altogether mechanically, just cables, wiring and fluids. sounds easy but the wiring is going to take a while as there is lots to do including re-instating the indicators and a new speedo (which will need all the idiot lights connected). Might get it running soon just to check for leaks etc but better put the exhaust on first! :D

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Lighter, Faster, where's me hacksaw!
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 04:18:28 AM »
I think this is coming together very nicely.

But then I would wouldn't I?

Cheers

Rev. Light
Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)

Dustybin

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »
Well it's been a couple of weeks so I thought I'd better update you. Things have slowed a little mainly as there has been some decision making to be made. Firstly associated with the reintroduction of the indicators which were previously discarded during the cafe racer phase.
As I am going to the effort of putting them back there would be no point putting silly little after marked jobs on so I have plumped for some nice large round lucas jobs. Then location location location! assorted brackets and big holes later they are in place and ready for wiring up.
The Speedo was the next decision, Acewell to the rescue with their nice little digital speedo and idiot light combo. The kit I got is supplied by Flatracers of London and includes a speed take off from the transmission which converts the old mechanical mechanism to an electric signal for the speedo. No magnets for the front wheel for me! Just got to work out how I am going to put the charge light down the head tube.
Exhausts are on, but i need to tape the headers as they are a bit rough. The mufflers would not be my first choice however they sound glorious and have the all important EU marks for the MOT
So next is the wiring which I am determined to tidy up, so I am getting all the bits together for the final push. My old man turned me an ignition barrel housing but I havnt decided where to put it yet! Probably on the frame somewhere. TTFN
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:48:49 PM by Dustybin »

Offline montmil

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 04:02:45 PM »
Same Acewell digi unit resides on my 1983 R65. The electronic plug fitting into the hole for the OEM mechanical speedo cable is brilliant.

A Trail Tech Vapor digi rocks the 1981 R65 and the 1978 R100S.
Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

Dustybin

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »
Well she is running, I 'll have to admit getting lost in the rewire a bit, but what are brothers for. Anyway with Steve's help we are running, and all is well with the wiring, which is more than can be said for the battery!
Lots of tidying up and fettling to get her ready for the MOT.
Will also need a complete check up for loose bits and bobs and a bit of clutch adjustment... Got there in the end ::)

Offline montmil

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »
Looking good, Tony!  [smiley=beer.gif]
Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Lighter, Faster, where's me hacksaw!
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 07:45:29 AM »
It actually looks a lot better than that picture suggests.  Nice and clean and shiny.  Still sounds great with those pipes.

The trouble with the wiring was due to the simplification of the loom that I did when I removed the original instruments, indicators, buzzers and accessory circuits.  Then Tony comes along and wires in a set of indicators and adds in the Acewell clock, with all the idiot lights in the clock and not as separate lights - except the charge light.  

We approached the wiring in a piece-meal way, which is fine in theory, Lights followed by ignition, followed by charging circuit, etc. But we got caught out a couple of times where we did not understand that although we had removed an part of a circuit, connections were still required to other parts of the circuit we had still left in.  I.e. we had to look at the circuit as a whole, at times.  Anyway we got there in the end.

Cheers

Rev Light
Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)

Dustybin

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2014, 04:23:53 PM »
New MOT but a filthy day to take it for a test. i put the contents of a 5 litre can of fuel in it and thought Id be ok for the run to the test centre and back, however  i must have got too exuberant on the weekend test runs as i ran out of fuel at the test centre door! lucky for the good old reserve tap.
All went well for the MOT test with no advisories, in fact some nice comments as they remember this bike as a regular in all it's many forms over the past 10 years or so!
As for the riding experience the suspension generally is a bit harsh for an inch of foam under your back side so i can already feel so more mods coming on.. like a re-upholster of the saddle, reversion to original fork springs and shocks if I can lay my hands on them! but otherwise at least the electrics survived the rain! :)

Dustybin

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 01:11:35 AM »
Been riding her a bit and  was not overly impressed by the performance and she was a bit tappity, so bit the bullet for a tune up. Reset the valves, did not initially check the spark gap but could not get her set up on timing by twisting the can as there was not adjustment available! So took a step back and reset the can to a mid point and then reset the points as they were a bit off! What a revelation! However after that little run I tried to balance the carbs and appear to have snuffed it a little, but also realised that I was getting low on fuel so will remedy that situation and try again but already soooo much smoother :)