The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: My R65  (Read 5817 times)

MR.E

My R65
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:33:13 PM »
Now then

Instead of adding pics to loads of threads on progress on the bike thought i'd start one particular thread!

This was the bike when i bought it

MR.E

Re: My R65
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:36:53 PM »
not done masses to the bike to make it pristine yet, but planned to get the engine out in the next few weeks & fully rebuild it (hopefully)
The frame will be going off to the powder coaters but think the tank will stay as it is, got used to the colour & it's original!

Whats the best thing to get the engine cleaned with?
Am i best sending it off for blasting or wire brushing it with nitromors or something??

Thanks

MR.E

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »
done bits to the bike to make sure it rides ok, did most of the seals bushes etc on the engine & had to do the rear half of the wiring loom.

Just looking for the right cable colours to give it a new wiring loom, though with the alterations i've made to the bike i don't need a 'full' loom.

I'm not really one to take loads of photos or very good ones for that matter but there should be enough to give you an idea.

See you soon
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:42:48 PM by MR.E »

Offline montmil

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:06:51 AM »
Elliott,

Here's a UK source for your BMW tracer wire needs.

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/70/category/114

Monte
Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

MR.E

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »
cheers for the link

Elliott

Offline Adrian

• Lives at Base of Mt. Olympus
  • The Old Hairy Biker Sez...
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 03:49:48 PM »
Yep thanks Montmil a very useful link for me also ......
1984 R65 (860)

tom_hudson

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 08:42:19 PM »
Hi Elliott,
On this r100/7 I bead blasted it - I have a small portable unit - did it in my drive way at home - warning the stuff get's every where but it looks nice when you get things cleaned up - tom

MR.E

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:04:11 AM »
Tom
do you have to hook it up to a compressor?
Whats the make of your machine?

Thanks

Offline Dave 2

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • Airheads: A Blast from the Past
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 06:23:25 AM »
Tom your 100/7 looks beautiful! I decided to get a bench top bead blasting unit from Cyclone Manufacturing. http://www.cycloneblasters.com/ The "Pencil Tip Nozzle" did nothing. They then sent me a "Trigger Nozzle" which is working...slowly but I'm using very fine glass beads. I need to get a coarser bead and hopefully it work faster. Good Luck D2

Offline Dave 2

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • Airheads: A Blast from the Past
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:24:28 AM »
BTW you do need a compressor. D2

tom_hudson

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »
Tom
do you have to hook it up to a compressor?
Whats the make of your machine?

Thanks
yep - have to hook up to compressor - I bought my little blaster from harbor freight - don't recall the price but it's pretty cheap - but it's a slow process.

If you really want it to look nice after blowing away all the grim - is go to Mid-America - Corvette parts vendor - They have a special rattle can of paint mixed for Corvette's - It's called "Valve Cover Paint" Part #609-683 - This is the Hot Stuff for making that engine look new!!!!!!!! - you don't have to put it on heavy - just a light coat and BINGO! The color is perfect for a airhead engine!

Might be on the expensive side as far as rattle can paint goes but you have to pay the Corvrtte tax thats built into it - but it's worth it.

This color is for the valve covers on C4 Corvettes - Good stuff the airhead guys who likes to keep things tidy - Tom

MR.E

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »
Now then

Been a while since i posted, work went bonkers, BUT i am now a Charity Founder!!

Anyway, i was going to log the bike build on here on what i've done etc but i don't need to as there are some AMAZING examples of how to do that already.
What i do need help with is most probably reassurance i guess.

I've very nearly finished with the 'styling' of the bike. It rides beautifully & i get some great comments about it but i've fallen out wit it, looks wise, i've a new seat being made & should have it this week but i'm highly tempted to sell it now it's done.

It's not that i don't like it but everytime i look at it i'm not happy & want rid......................anyone HELP???!!!

Elliott

tom_hudson

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 06:40:03 PM »
kinda like chasing girls - the fun can be in the chase - once you catch them - not so much 8-)

MR.E

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
evening

I've not been on here for a while or really anywhere, heads all over the place at the moment.

Anyway, i decided to keep the 65, sold the beta instead, as i wanted to 'finish it'!
Got it in the shed - which i haven't finished yet!!!! - and up on the bench.
I'm going to the hayride in 6 weeks so will be limited to what i do to it but decided to press on with it.
It doesn't need any running work, just cosmetics really.
I'll be stripping it down in winter for a rebuild!

Back on the bench

Offline nhmaf

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Free at last, Free at last!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 11:13:51 PM »
Do be careful working round that bench, Mr E - I'm not so keen on  that tippy-looking 4x4 post that seems to be supporting the back of the plank!
Airhead #12178 ? BMWMOA #123173 ?BMWRA #33525 ?GSBMWR #563 ?1982 BMW R65LS ?1978 BMW R100/7 1998 Kawasaki Concours