The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: LuckyD's Cafe Build  (Read 4964 times)

Offline jakebass12

• double clutching diesel demon.
Re: LuckyD's Cafe Build
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »
what does the fairing look like? can i see some pictures?  :D

I'm just using the stock fairing. Nothing special.

so you are going to use it? or are you not going to use it?

Sorry I meant I was going to use the stock fender. As for the fairing I don't plan on using it. I may sell it.

yes and i was saying if you are interested in selling the fairing i may be interested in buying it. but i would like to see some pictures.
1981 bmw r65. 1981 kawasaki kz550

luckyd20

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 12:11:31 AM »

Sorry I meant I was going to use the stock fender. As for the fairing I don't plan on using it. I may sell it.

yes and i was saying if you are interested in selling the fairing i may be interested in buying it. but i would like to see some pictures.

Check your PM

Offline jakebass12

• double clutching diesel demon.
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 02:15:21 AM »

Check your PM

checked it. thanx :)
1981 bmw r65. 1981 kawasaki kz550

luckyd20

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 12:42:52 AM »
So here is another update. I know my thread isn't as exciting as some others but I was finally able to remove the drive shaft from the swing arm with my home made tool.

Made with a pipe and pipe clamps.

So now I'm able to send my frame and everything else out to get powder coated. Slowly but surely:freaky

luckyd20

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 10:01:30 AM »
Here's an update on progress. Manage to still scratch the frame after getting new powder coating.

Offline Adrian

• Lives at Base of Mt. Olympus
  • The Old Hairy Biker Sez...
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 05:35:23 AM »
Hi - starting to look very nice mate - I picked up my frame and sub frame today from the powder coaters - its really nice - i was surprised att he finish - I could have just boought it fromt he factory new. Shame about the scratch - hope its in a narea that can't be seen. Those wheels loook great - how did you get then to shine so well. I have been thinking abiout having my wheels powder coated as well as the frame - unless I can gett he shine back on them. Thanks for the piks --- Adrian ......
1984 R65 (860)

Offline Dave 2

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • Airheads: A Blast from the Past
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
I picked up my frame and sub frame today from the powder coaters - its really nice  
Hi Adrian, I'm happy to hear about your frame looking so good. It is way more fun to be putting everything back together again when it is all clean and sharp looking [smiley=bmw_smiley.gif] D2

Offline Adrian

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 01:01:51 AM »
Hi Dave 2 - hows the work going on yer Bike mate ???? Yes OI was really pleased witht he work - it looks like it just left the factory new - did you ever get your wheels powdercoated - I'm thinking i might do that as well so long as I can geta  close alloy looking grey type silver sheen to them. It seems a shame to shine them up only to have that look fade away after a year or less - at least thats my experience with the wheels last time i hade them blasted clean and shiny. Hope yer well mate - have a good day - Adrian ........
1984 R65 (860)

luckyd20

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
You know I've been using the green simple green with a wire brush. Seems to be working out great!

MR.E

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 05:27:47 PM »
doing anything to the tank??
I've bought a spare one to streamline, they seem BIG when the bike gets a facelift.

luckyd20

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 06:19:32 PM »
doing anything to the tank??
I've bought a spare one to streamline, they seem BIG when the bike gets a facelift.

I don't think I would be doing anything to the tank. I would love to put knee groves/dents to make it more comfortable but as of right now nothing.

luckyd20

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 06:20:51 PM »
Just finished doing the wire harness. Now I need to reconnect the lights and hopefully I should be good.

Offline Dave 2

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 05:41:10 AM »
did you ever get your wheels powdercoated  
Hi Adrian, Yes I did get them powder coated and they came out really well. I'm now working on painting a few plastic parts, rear fender, fairing insert, and air intake box, satin black with a rattle can. The primer went on beautifully, but the black is not coming out well. The spray pattern is very full of splotches and makes for a very rough finish? >:(D2

Offline Dave 2

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 05:42:21 AM »
OOPS picture cut off the wheels!

Offline Adrian

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 08:03:17 PM »
Hi Dave - the picture looks great - shame about the wheels  :-/ I resprayed all my parts including plastis myself - more fun but not necessarily cheaper. I can't ride at the moment as you know so I like to do as much as  possible myself to keep busy - sorry about the bad black finish. I had thought about a paint finish for the rear fender also - as the front one is painted - why not??? Its one less plastic area to fade in the sunlight while the rest of the bike should still look "as new". Good luck with it mate - I look forward to seeing the finished bike - Adrian .......
1984 R65 (860)