Author Topic: A (humorous) Triumph Bonneville bike review  (Read 2377 times)

Offline nhmaf

• Global Moderator
  • Free at last, Free at last!
A (humorous) Triumph Bonneville bike review
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:23:54 PM »
Found this on the net "An honest review of the Triumph Bonneville" - it is pretty amusing, but may be mildly offensive-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKFsce5phw&feature=youtu.be
Airhead #12178 ? BMWMOA #123173 ?BMWRA #33525 ?GSBMWR #563 ?1982 BMW R65LS ?1978 BMW R100/7 1998 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Bengt_Phorqs

• There are no wrong turns on a motorcycle
Re: A (humorous) Triumph Bonneville bike review
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »
I had one of those suckers for a couple of years and the negatives of the review are spot on.  Nice little bikes for the most part but I wouldn't buy another one.  (No doubt Mr. Miller will now comment about my penchant for collecting an odd assortment of motorcycles.)

Still, a rather interesting, and entertaining, review.
Bengt Phorqs, Jake R90/6, R80/7, R1200RTw, Moto Guzzi California EV , Triumph TR250W, Yamaha TY250A Trials, Suzuki DR650

Offline Barry

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »
Very clever and entertaining video. The shot with the "girl friend" on the back is priceless. Must show it my mate at work who has one.

How cheap can they be to design a bike without a rev counter and for me it's also unnecessarily heavy. I would instinctively go for the Guzzi or Kawasaki.
Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

Offline Motu

• My Cow is my friend! ;)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:45:43 PM »
One piston up, one piston down - he must be a Honda rider.

Offline nhmaf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:17:55 PM »
Yay, I was wondering about the reviewer's knowledge of Triumph engines with that little drawing - these Bonnies have 360 degree crankshafts, or, in the America/cruiser models, 270 degree crankshafts.

My old 1980 Yamaha XS400 twin had a 180 degree crank, and it was actually pretty buzzy
Airhead #12178 ? BMWMOA #123173 ?BMWRA #33525 ?GSBMWR #563 ?1982 BMW R65LS ?1978 BMW R100/7 1998 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Barry

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »
360 deg crank, and the mechanical balance of a single with the only advantage being twice as many firing impulses. At least that was true for the original Bonnie which was a nice bike to ride but not at sustained high speed. Even if you could take the vibration, various nuts and bolts decided they would rather not. Maybe they should have rubber mounted the engine like the Commando.

Presume the new Bonnie stuck with a 360 deg crank for the fabulous exhaust note which the 180 Deg machines with better mechanical balance but uneven firing impulses can't match.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:24:20 PM by bhodgson »
Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

Offline Luca

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »
This just makes me love the boxer twin even more.  180 degree mechanical balance + 360 degree ignition balance = a nice exhaust note and no need to make the trip a second time to pick up all the parts.

Offline Tony Smith

• Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 10:08:51 PM »
no need to make the trip a second time to pick up all the parts.

Oh the Pain.....
A long time ago I thought I was quite the lad on my Norton Atlas. Ownership of that bike taught me "Tony's theory of Norton Ownership". Neither as weighty or as dense as the theory of relativity, but in its own way, quite important.

Article 12 of the theory states:- "If your Norton is still capable of moving under its own power, you do not have a problem. Simply lurk near the highway until another Norton of the same model goes past. Give chase and wait for what you need to fall off."
1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |

Offline suecanada

• Winter time now so we sleep and dream and plan!!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »
Yup I am alive and well!

I've seen this video and forwarded it to my nephew who is a newly licensed rider at the age of 51 yrs. He chose a CBR250R Honda as his first bike which I consider a wise choice. Now given the 2 bigaboos with Winston, my '09 Triumph Bonneville SE, I am hoping to sell it to my nephew when he is ready to move to a slightly bigger bike. This may take a year or two.

My Triumph bugaboos?   Too heavy at 495 lbs. wet and too short of a gas range a la Barry's comments. Impossible to put on centrestand...not just me either! It did vibrate too and toured just fine and I do absolutely love it's looks especially with the wee S fairing. The dealer was close as well unlike the Guzzi V7 which was big competition and lighter too.

Soooo...I was innocently on Kijiji the other month and I have bought a '08 Suzuki DR650SE, fully farkled for adventure touring, that is located now on Vancouver Island, BC on the other side of the country.

Solution? Fly out in late May and ride it home. I'll fill you in on the "Lesser Makes" thread.

Hee hee!
Sue
1983 R65LS - LRB still my favourite!? 1988 Honda NX250, "Toodles Too" and a Suzuki DR650, "Calypso." All stored in the "Brrrmmm Closet".

Offline suecanada

• Winter time now so we sleep and dream and plan!!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »
Oops...this is the Lesser Makes thread :-[

Anyway, the DR650SE is a very old mechanically simple enduro style bike that'll maybe allow me to ride longer into older age, me thinks. Many of you know that my recent extra bike the DR200 was exactly what I needed but it can be a bit stressful on highways. Either it is whirring away trying to keep up or there is someone on your tail again. So a 650 cc engine will allow me to hit all types of highways. And the best part is that it's technology won't be that different from the R65LS LRB's. Screw adjust valve clearances, carbs to keep clean. Just have a chain which is a pain but doable esp. when I add my DIY chain oiler as I have on the Triumph Bonneville. LRB will get a rest sometimes except for longer highway journeys. The Triumph will probably get sold to my newly licensed nephew (51 yrs. old/ CBR250R first bike)

The seller has really improved the DR immensely. When I read the advrider.com 650 thumper site I can see that he has done many of the upgrades they tout as good improvements. Only thing I gotta do is lower the seat and while I am at that, I'll be having the upholstery improved as the seat is like a board and I'll be crossing the country on that 2"x 4" board if I don't do something while I'm out there.

So I have a niece and a friend on Vancouver Island to help me with the logistics and at least I don't have to worry about the many details of importing this bike.

Also, Derek and I heading to NC and will be visiting Aida and Graham late of this forum!
1983 R65LS - LRB still my favourite!? 1988 Honda NX250, "Toodles Too" and a Suzuki DR650, "Calypso." All stored in the "Brrrmmm Closet".

Offline nhmaf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »
Sue!!!

So glad to see you back here!   This is quite a surprise about your DR650!    I thought that you were sticking with the "minimalist" concept with your DR200, but now I see that it has only whetted your appetite for more adventurous touring and more dirt-throwing horsepower!    Good on ya!   Congrats and good luck on your trip to bring the big DR back to Ontario!   I haven't had such good fortune with being able to do fly-n-ride trips, it can be a "gutsy" thing to do and I am happy to see that you've got your old confidence & grit again

Maybe we'll see you on a journey to Tierra del Fuego next?!?

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 10:10:34 PM »
That was hilarious!

Hi Sue!
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!