Author Topic: 1946 Triumph Speedtwin  (Read 940 times)

Offline davidpdx

1946 Triumph Speedtwin
« on: November 22, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »
       I was out in the garage yesterday trying to straighten up and I was thinking that I hadnít started my 1946 Triumph in a while. I hooked a sidecar to it (you can see the video here) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cs97U86TKQ&feature=youtu.behttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cs97U86TKQ&feature=youtu.be last summer and have not really ridden it much since. I turned on the petrol, lowered the air slide and tickled the carb until my thumb was wet. One good swift kick and it fired right up. The old British bikes got a lot of grief for their reliability but I think it is pretty amazing that a 66 year old bike can sit in an unheated garage for three months and start on the first kick. I doubt that most modern cars or bikes could sit that long and start right up with all their fuel injection and electronic ignition.    
1984 R65 60K+
1946 Triumph Speed Twin

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. ?That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba?

? Hunter S. Thomps

Offline Ed Miller

Re: 1946 Triumph Speedtwin
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:58:17 PM »
Cool!  the carburetors on my Bonneville don't have chokes so while it generally starts up easily on the first kick it won't always stay running right away.  I love those old speed twins like yours I'd like to see it do you go on  OVM rides?
Ed Miller
'81 r65
Falls City, OR

Offline Semper Gumby

• Dances with cow!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
At 28 degrees with some tickle and full choke the BSA took three kicks to come to life this morning.

The R65 has an electrical fault (no power to the ignition switch) for which I must dive under the front and top covers of the motor.

I'm procrastinating of course...  ::)
Bill Gould ?1980/03 R65 When at first you don't succeed....Moo!

Offline Ed Miller

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »
3 kicks?  Probably had old gas in it.  

My R65 didn't want to start yesterday afternoon for my ride home from work.  I was starting to get depressed until I noticed that I had forgotten to turn the choke on.  Doh!
Ed Miller
'81 r65
Falls City, OR