The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: GPS Speedometer  (Read 1216 times)

Offline marcmax

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Any day on two wheels is a good day
GPS Speedometer
« on: November 02, 2015, 03:50:32 PM »
Anyone have any experience with a gps based speedometer? I am considering one for the R65 that I am rebuilding now. I have an Acewell on the R65 I ride now and while I like it, at 2.5" diameter it has a very small face. I am considering one made by a company called Legendary Motorcycles. It has actual sweeping needles for the speedo and a smaller inset tach, as well as an lcd screen at the bottom and led indicators. It is kind of pricey but it has a 4" face and would fit nicely.

Anyone ever use a gps based instrument set?
Keep your bike in good repair: motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.

1982 R65ls    1984 R65ls

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
Re: GPS Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »
Anyone have any experience with a gps based speedometer

I do not have experience, but this is a "slow boil" project of my own.  

The device in your picture is identical to those sold by speedhut.com, it may be to your advantage to compare their price.

Speedhut have some experience in inserting their instrument into R80 G/S instrument bodies - my ears pricked uop at this as one of the things that worked to dry up the supply of R65 speedos is there near similarity to early G/S devices. I figure on sending them the instrument "can" and asking them to insert their GPS speedo.

1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |

Offline marcmax

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Any day on two wheels is a good day
Re: GPS Speedometer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the link Tony. That is obviously where the seller I was looking at gets his from. Not a huge price savings (about $20) but speedhut lets you customize the face, colors, pointer style, add logo, etc. I like being able to order one without someone's brand staring me in the face. Plus the $20 savings almost covers the cost of the cnc aluminum mount they have for it.

I am looking for a self contained unit and not one mounted into a BMW instrument can but that sounds like it would be a great solution for the aging mechanical gauges out there.
Keep your bike in good repair: motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.

1982 R65ls    1984 R65ls