The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: School me on LED lights  (Read 3964 times)

67siia

School me on LED lights
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »
School me on LED lights

On my 79 R65, I plan on replacing all turn signal and tail running/brake lights to LED. Who has done it? How? Pictures?  Thanks

Offline Bob_Roller

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • -7 hours GMT
Re: School me on LED lights
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:09:37 PM »
About the only thing you need to know about LED's in the turn directionals, is that you either need a flasher relay specifically for LED's or you need to put resistors at each LED bulb, or the turn directionals will not function correctly .

Just remember to match the color of the LED with the color of the lens that covers it .
'81 R65
'82 R65 LS
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

Offline marcmax

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Any day on two wheels is a good day
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »
I have replaced all the lights on my R65 and sidecar with LED's including the headlight. Total draw for headlight, two tail/brake lights, three running lights is 30 watts. I don't count the turn indicators because they are only on momentarily.

I needed a flasher relay anyway before switching to LED's and the only thing available at the local auto parts store was a solid state flasher. $8.95 and it plugs right in and everything flashes as it should.

As far as matching the LED color to the lens color I have heard the same thing. I got a good deal on some white cree led brake/tail light bulbs and have it in one of the brake lights and the other has a bulb that is a cluster of red LEDs that resembles a raspberry. The light with the white cree LED bulb is significantly brighter than the standard red LED bulb and I will be replacing it as well.

I don't have stock gauges but what I have is all illuminated with LED's. The turn indicators are small aftermarket items and came pre-assembled. Just wired them up and they work. The LED headlight is not DOT legal but it is also not obnoxiously bright. It is comparable to a standard H4 bulb in output, has a nice white color and I have never had anyone complain or flash their lights at me since I started to use it.

Everything was plug and play, standard automotive base bulbs.
Keep your bike in good repair: motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.

1982 R65ls    1984 R65ls

Offline montmil

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:33:11 PM »
I shop with this vendor for LED lamps. https://www.superbrightleds.com/

With so many automobiles now utilizing LED lighting for everything from vanity mirrors to crazy headlamp surrounds to tail lights and turn signals, your local FLAPS has LED-capable turn signal relays designed for your easy plug n' play.

The Airhead alternator is borderline stone age with its relatively low output. LED bulbs can reduce the alternator's need to support old school incandescent filament bulbs and direct more power to keeping our batteries topped up. Plus, you'll never again melt the plastic tail light lenses by using the wrong size bulb.
Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

67siia

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 12:42:34 AM »
Great info. Keep them coming

Offline marcmax

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:19:10 PM »
This is what I am using for a headlight, LED
Keep your bike in good repair: motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.

1982 R65ls    1984 R65ls

Offline marcmax

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:20:17 PM »
This is what I am using for brake lights

1982 R65ls    1984 R65ls

67siia

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 01:16:07 AM »
This is what I am using for a headlight, LED
. Would you mind providing a bit more detail on these LED lights? Are these bright enought for night riding?  

Offline marcmax

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 06:53:28 AM »
The headlight was purchased off eBay from a vendor in CA. I just did a search for H4 led bulb and looked until I found a single one, most are sold in pairs. They all seem to come from China so forget any kind of readable instructions but there really is nothing to installing them. The headlight is as bright as a conventional halogen H4 bulb so yes they are bright enough for night riding.

The brake/tail lights were bought on Amazon. Just search for 1157 cree led. They come in an assortment of colors. I went against conventional wisdom and chose white instead of red ones. Since the tail light has a clear window to let one bulb work as tail light and also tag light a red one wouldn't work. They are very bright and I feel safer at night about being seen.

1982 R65ls    1984 R65ls

Offline D Mann

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 09:45:49 AM »
Here is another place to check out http://www.ddmtuning.com
David Mann
1981 R65
ABC #14407

67siia

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 11:00:30 PM »
After considering changing JUST the bulbs to LEDs, I have decided to replace all turns signals with LED light/fixtures (Why? because I'm building a cross between a Cafe Racer/Scramble).  So basically I need to replace the flasher relay with something that supports LEDs.

But what if I decided to replace the headlights with LED...similar to what marcmax is using... what else should be replaced?

Offline marcmax

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 06:33:49 AM »
The only thing that needs replacing when switching to LEDs is the flasher relay and that is only to get them flashing at a normal rate. If you don't mind them with a rapid flash you can keep the standard relay.

For an LED headlight nothing needs to be changed except the bulb. The old wiring harness will be happy with less current draw running through it.

1982 R65ls    1984 R65ls

wa1udg

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 05:12:14 PM »
Superbrightleds.com sells lamps and solid state flasher units  units so you can avoid what the kids call "ricer flash".  I did my car with LEDs including the interior lamps.  Now I don't have to worry about leaving the door ajar and killing the battery  for a week or so.  The automotive products from Superbright are lumen rated and compared to filament bulbs.
LED headlamp bulbs are not the same point source as a filament and may affect the focus of your headlamp.

wa1udg

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »
Superbrightleds.com sells lamps and solid state flasher   units so you can avoid what the kids call "ricer flash".  I did my car with LEDs including the interior lamps.  Now I don't have to worry about leaving the door ajar and killing the battery  for a week or so.  The automotive products from Superbright are lumen rated and compared to filament bulbs.
LED headlamp bulbs are not the same point source as a filament and may affect the focus of your headlamp.

Offline Graeme

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 01:43:53 AM »
I can't see any notes on searching for High & Low Beam for the Headlights. I'm keen about the headlight at least for the same Alternator reason. We need to keep our Headlight on for Day running here in Australia. Do they have that function marcmax?
1985 R65 LS