The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: New R65 Owner  (Read 1424 times)

Offline aarm

New R65 Owner
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:58:32 AM »
Hi All,

I've very recently purchased an 83 R65.  I was hesitant to buy it as it has trouble idling (read dies) but smooths out great over 2500 rpm's.  It's the only 5 speed kickstart R65 that I've ever seen in the states.  Even with the idle problems, I had to get it because of the kickstart.  

Question for you all is, what could cause rough idling other than carb issues?  Just want to see what I've gotten myself into.  

With all that said, I'm a relatively new rider as this is my second bike.  My first was a 75 Honda CB360T.  Great learner bike, but not great for anywhere but the city.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing more from everyone here.

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Lighter, Faster, where's me hacksaw!
Re: New R65 Owner
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:26:22 AM »
Its probably carbs.  You will have to see if you can get them balanced, both at idle and at higher rpm.  Also the mixure screws might be amiss.

Have you got a manual yet?

These bikes lend themselves to home maintenance as they are relatively simple - although you might not think that now.  But you will appreciate them morewhen you can do things yourself - and the cost of ownership will be cheaper.

Cheers

Rev. Light
Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)

Offline Bengt_Phorqs

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • There are no wrong turns on a motorcycle
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:44:06 AM »
Assuming that your valves and the timing are set properly, you most probably have a carb issue.  The forum is replete with carb tuning methods and discussion.  It would be time well spent to spend some time using the search, but we'll be glad to chime in and help sort out the problems.  

Got any pix of the rare machine?  The kick start is probably an add on by a previous owner.  I'd be interested in hearing if there are any others out there.

Welcome to the farm.
Bengt Phorqs, Jake R90/6, R80/7, R1200RTw, Moto Guzzi California EV , Triumph TR250W, Yamaha TY250A Trials, Suzuki DR650

Offline montmil

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:54:18 AM »
Hey there, chocobobby. Welcome aboard.

Where abouts here on the third rock do you call home? Post up a photo of your 'new' R65. We'd like to see the gear box / kick starter. Does your R65 still have the electric starter installed?
Inquiring minds...

There is a pdf.format owners manual in the R65 FAQs section you may find helpful.

Valve lash and timing must be correct before any other work begins. Before you do anything to the carbs, perhaps drop the float bowls and check for water or crud. Read up, study and ask questions before you dive in too deep.
Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

Offline nhmaf

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Free at last, Free at last!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »
+1 with Monte - drop and clean out the float bowls, noting any water or crud in there.  Pay careful attention to the little tiny holes in the lower front corners - that is the fuel inlet for the carb enricher 'choke' circuit.   If those are plugged/covered with crud you'll want to clean them out carefully with strong carb cleaner and a tiny strand of copper wire.  (Wear eye protection so you don't squirt carb cleaner into your eye!)  Also, take the air cleaner cover off and make sure you've got a clean filter with no rat's nest in there.

If non of these helps, yes, you should make sure that the valves are adjusted properly, because if the valve lash is closed up/too tight it will cause a problem of poor idling or not idling at all.   We have to rule that out before going further into others things, or you'll just be chasing your own tail..

Post up a pics when you can!
-Mike
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:14:40 AM by nhmaf »
Airhead #12178 ? BMWMOA #123173 ?BMWRA #33525 ?GSBMWR #563 ?1982 BMW R65LS ?1978 BMW R100/7 1998 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I love my Beemers
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:15:59 PM »
Not too super rare but somewhat scarce.  This one now lives in Suraklyn's garage...

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:21:36 PM by admin »
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!

MR.E

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »
Welcome mate,
I thought after 80-something kickstarts were replaced with electric starts??!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:56:02 PM by MR.E »

Offline aarm

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »
First of all thanks for all the responses.  I've just got home and took a few pictures and have them listed below. It's my belief that the kickstart was an option in both Canada and the UK but not for sale in the States.  It has both a kick start and an electric start.  I live in Portland, OR so a canadian bike is definitely possible, but I don't know all it's history.

I don't have an official manual but have a Haynes manual coming in the mail from the previous owner.  Is it worth while to get an original owners Manual? It was missing the toolkit / pump as well which I'll be replacing once I've got a little extra cash.  I'm a little nervous to start taking things apart, but you've got to start somewhere.    Once I get the haynes manual I'll get started. For what it's worth, it rode great on the highway, just didn't like idling.  My guess was the carbs, but seems that It would be good to go over the timing and the valves as well.  

I'll be sure to read more of the site as the days go on.  Cheers and thanks for the responses again.

edit: changed the image sizes as the resolution was a little too crazy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:51:05 PM by chocobobby »

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Lighter, Faster, where's me hacksaw!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 04:12:46 AM »
Well she is nice and clean so once you have sorted out the idle you will have good machine.
Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)

Offline montmil

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 07:31:12 AM »
Wow! Proper bags, crash bars, windshield and good chrome mufflers... Nice touring set-up already.

Most all of us have built up our own on-bike tool kits. You could do the same for far less money than you'd spend on an OEM kit. Small electric air pumps are certainly affordable; but worthless unless you plan on carrying tire irons, a patch kit or spare tube, and a box of those knuckle-design Band-Aids.

And you can likely skip the "official factory manual" as it makes the assumption that you have already graduated the official BMW Technicians School and know how to utilize the "factory tools" dictated in the manual. Plus, it isn't cheap. And besides, you're now a member of the R65 asylum, where our motto is, If it ain't broke, we can fix that.

No. Not until you wash your grimy hands
                                    -Nurse Ratched  
Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I love my Beemers
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »
Very nice looking bike!  I believe the kick-starters were a special order option for a few years after they were discontinued as a standard production item.
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!