The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Brake Rotor Replacement-BobRoller 11/07/06  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
Brake Rotor Replacement-BobRoller 11/07/06
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:46:39 PM »
BobRoller Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Brake Rotor Replacement

My front brake rotors are in need of replacement, they measure out at the minimum thickness at the high spots. Iam considering installing the EBC floating type rotors, price is comparable to OEM discs. Any body replace their rotors with other than OEM parts?

airhead Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:

GRIMECA (Italianj) make rotors with the same metal characteristics and drill patterns as OEM. Know a couple of people with them and they are very happy.

Bill....................;)

Semper Gumby Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Replaced with...

...I have the EBC from www.cyclebrakes.com. I upgraded and have a dual set of rotors. They work great.

There is one negative in that they are floating and when I am moving slowly on an rough road I can hear the rotors bouncing. The rattling takes some getting used to. I think I got the last round 15mm master cylinder from BMW USA. They may have them in Germany if you decide to add the extra caliper.

The EBC part numbers are MD606LS and MD606RS.

I have the ATE brakes Kevlar pads.

BobRoller Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Bill G., I have the factory dual disc ATE setup already, and I was having difficulty determining the correct part numbers for my bike.

Semper Gumby Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Question.

Hey all this brings up a question I have.

The front forks did not change when BMW changed from ATE to Brembo Calipers Right?

The part numbers are the same. So if I wanted to I could switch out my ATE calipers for Brembos. Has anybody done this?

BobRoller Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:

What is the advantage of floating rotors over the OEM style?

airhead Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Under extreme braking conditions, a fixed steel rotor and aluminium hat can expand at different rates causing the rotor to distort and cone slightly. This can lead to inefficiencies in braking, uneven pad wear, and possible stress cracks. Having the attachment loose and floating in specially designed holes in the rotor enables it to expand freely and self centre. For road use they can have anti rattle features such as rubber grommets or special spring washers.
I would maybe think twice about their advantages with the older ATE system in normal day to day riding as the brakes aren't all that high performance to be able to take advantage of the benefits, except maybe the self centering. It was the subject of a discussion over coffee a few months ago with the club, though none of us had floaters with ATE's for comparison.

Bill.........................;)

BobRoller Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

I was kind of wondering if it was a feature that would really be of any benefit in my utilitarian type use that the bike normally gets. But there is the fact that they are $40 US cheaper than OEM discs.

airhead Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject:

No other reason needed, go for it!!! LOL

Bill...................;)

Semper Gumby Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: EBC's

Oh I forgot...the EBC have more carbon in'em or whatever it is that make them rust sooner when wet. It comes right off and they still stop good.

BobRoller Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Bill G., I was wondering if rusting was noticeable. Here in Phoenix, about the only time the bike gets wet, is when it gets washed, and thats usually only 3-4 times a year at best!

Semper Gumby Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Rusty Rotors.

It's very light and like I say, it comes right off. Its not chewing up my kevlar pads which are quite soft. Its more of an esthetic thing you notice.

If it doesn't rain they don't rust. Lot of rain in the Atlanta compared to the southwest.
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!