The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Wheel bearing replacement  (Read 437 times)

Offline dogshome

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
Wheel bearing replacement
« on: August 02, 2020, 05:55:58 PM »
This was quite stress free today. NTN bearings and metric seals very cheap online. 17X24X0.1mm hard steel shims equally so. Suspect Neilsen blind bearing puller actually very good.

I'd spotted some water in there 1,000 miles ago and had inspected to find a tiny amount of corrosion. Cleaned, regreased and thought, must change those at some point.

Well, my MOT inspection man was very thorough and must have ears like a bat to hear the 'slight bearing wear' and put it as an advisory on the certificate.

Bearing tension was set using calibrated measuring spanners :-) A surprising amount of drag is required to get 25-45 ounce inches of drag. Mine holds 25, then slips at about 35 with no noticeable zero speed stiction.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 04:04:40 PM by Justin B. »
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline dogshome

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
Re: Wheel bearing replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 05:58:48 PM »
You can see the one side of the one bearing where the tiny amount of corrosion is. There was also a tiny amount of galling on the other one if you look really hard.

I weighed spanners and then hung them on the pencil to get a relative idea of drag.
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
Re: Wheel bearing replacement
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 11:56:47 PM »
For Australian members, shims in various stock sizes can be ordered from MBA (Miniature Bearings Australia), their standard Parcel Post fee of $AU10.00 is a bit better than the GBP45 I was quioted to post some shims a year or so back.

MBA can also supply shims for gearbox and final drive rebuilding.
1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |