The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Welding shades  (Read 151 times)

Offline dogshome

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
Welding shades
« on: June 02, 2022, 11:02:50 AM »
My welding is not great. On things like the footpeg (thick steel, over 100A and 1.5mm rods) I can get something strong and reasonably good looking with my ancient ac transformer. One thing that has improved matters is to change out the original 1980s plastic shade for a properly marked glass one.

The original lump of plastic is incredibly dark and a 100A arc looks like a green glow worm through it. You can't see any of the parts you are trying to weld, particularly with the rod being between you and the arc light. I got three types, 9,10 &11. 11 seems quite safe on a sunny day with the very intermittent use I give it (1 hour per year!). 10 gives much more visibility, but I'd rather protect my eyes.

You can't see much without the arc with an 11, but once it strikes, it's a lot easier. With a 9 you can just see the parts in strong summer daylight, so I'm not using that one for now. I have seen some really dangerous welding in some far-flung parts of the world and they don't know the danger.

Any thoughts on welding shades for what I'm typically doing?
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!
Re: Welding shades
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 11:09:11 AM »
Hi,
I am far from a solder myself, but I've seen electronic shades which are transparent and clear without arc and become dark when the arc initiates.
Some time ago, price was stratospheric but I've seen cheap one being sold.
Check the label on the cheap one and ask for the certification paper as these are safety devices....
Just my 1 ....

Offline skippyc

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • Shouldn't have sold them old bikes.
Re: Welding shades
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 05:53:34 PM »
I use an electronic one with a magnifier on the inside which is plastic. Plastic blocks out the uv radiation. I now wouldn't use anything else.