The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Spoked Wheels  (Read 120 times)

Offline G0rd0n

Spoked Wheels
« on: September 13, 2021, 06:05:25 AM »
Has anyone tried to fit a set of spoked wheels to a 1983 R65.  I know there was a specific set made for ex police bikes but I have a set of wheels of unknown origin.  I know they are not originally from R65 and front is 19” as well.
The hub width for the front is wider than std R65 snowflake cast wheel and before I look at machining what is likely to be 6mm from either sides disk mounting face I am interested in case anyone has done this before.
The spindle and wheel spacers will need modified but this is let of a concern to me.

If the front hub would fit I could either rebuild with 18” rim or just try as 19” and drop forks to compensate .

Otherwise bike remains standard, just I’ve never liked the snowflake wheels.

Thanks

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!
Re: Spoked Wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 09:50:36 AM »
Hello,
I once inquired about this to a French guy making spoked wheels for all airhead bikes.
His answer was that the front hub is very specific of the R65 and no other hub will fit. HE said I had a choice : Either pay a premium to have a set of spoked wheels that fits, or install a front fork from an R80 or R100. And lve with the discrepancy and strange handling it will make (short wheel base with the R80 or R100 angle...)
I declined both and stayed with the snowflake wheels.

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Lighter, Faster, where's me hacksaw!
Re: Spoked Wheels
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 06:14:04 AM »
Any airhead rear wheel will fit an R65.  However the front wheel has to come from an R80ST.  It is what is called a 2 rib hub.

I have a set fitted to mine.  The 'fly in the ointment' is that they are as rare as hens teeth.

Good luck with finding one.

Steve
Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)