The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: New R65 (prospective) owner  (Read 623 times)

Offline quietglow

New R65 (prospective) owner
« on: August 04, 2021, 08:37:23 AM »
Just wanted to say "howdy" to the group. It is really nice to find an old-school forum like this devoted to the model. I got my first BMW, a 1974 2002, in 1997. The BMW listserv at that time was both entertaining and a good source of knowledge and wisdom. Seems like this place has some of that energy.

I am on my way this weekend to pick up my second beemer bike: an '82 R65 that appears to have been very well cared for. I am planning on riding it ~500mi home. Super excited!

Anyway, looking forward to hanging around here!

Joe

Offline Burt

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • I Love YaBB 2!
Re: New R65 (prospective) owner
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 06:46:51 AM »
Welkom and enjoy.   :mad:
Black 1984 R65 - the Wombat

Offline dogshome

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 09:47:51 AM »
Did you make it back OK?

I'm really glad my mate took me and trailer to fetch mine on a 300 mile round trip. It would have done it but I was much happier having changed oils and found sticky front brakes locally. The oils in the shaft, box and hub were free of water and had no metal in it, but looked as old as the bike. Like an aged beer.... ik!

Plus me having only ridden a flying armchair on holiday in the last 20 years. M25/A1 not ideal for remembering how to ride. Two up on a 250 down the Amalfi seemed far more sensible  :laugh:
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline quietglow

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 04:12:38 AM »
I did! Thanks for asking. The weather was horrible so I ended up trailering it. This was a good thing because, in spite of it being in really nice shape, I discovered that it is missing the fork bridge center nut.  Waiting for one to be shipped to me now.

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I love my Beemers
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:26:04 PM »
Looks good!  The Quicksilvers look perfect on an R65.

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!

Offline quietglow

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 04:05:27 AM »
Wow, that's the only other photo of an R65 w the quicksilver fairing that I've seen! Also, ironically, that's the same color my bike was originally. Super nice!