The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: tool to set bean can properly  (Read 670 times)

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!
tool to set bean can properly
« on: May 11, 2021, 09:12:14 AM »
Hello Guys,
When you ave a bean can with a hall sensor in it, it is difficult to set it in place when removed in order to have the bike fire up. Long time ago, one used a plain light bulb to set points in the firing position. This is not directly possible with the bean can fitted with a hall sensor in it.
BMW has devised a special tool which is a box containing a 9V battery and a resistor and light emitting diode plus a push button to test the battery. Quite simple. But the connector is not that easy to find.
BMW use this connector in a lot of bikes and sell a replacement connector with three wires already soldered on it under the P/N : 83 30 0 402 336 !
Attached is the circuit as drawn by R. Frankham. You need to know that the upper battery wire is the positive and that BMW add a 1N4001 diode between the positive terminal of the battery and the number 1 pin. Cathode of the diode to the number 1 pin....
Hope this helps.

Offline mrclubike

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Jungheinrich Master Tech
Re: tool to set bean can properly
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 09:50:06 PM »
I am pretty sure  this is the connector
1982 R65 running tubeless Snowflakes
2004 R1150R

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 12:33:07 AM »
Yes it is.The BMW P/N I gave above is the very same connector with wires already crimped and ready to solder. That the only difference (apart from price, of course).

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 07:16:56 AM »
If anyone is hunting the plugs and sockets making up the various components in the ignition system, they are JPT connectors, aka Junior Power Timer.

They can be expensive,. It can also be bought at a more reasonable price from AliExpress.

In regards to the Hall Effect tester, I have greatly simplified the circuit by using 12v LED panel lights, this eliminates the resistor. I have also deleted the switch and put the LED into the back of a JPT socket. I feed power externally from a 9v battery - having it out in the open reminds me to disconnect it.
1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |

Offline BPT

• Lives at Base of Mt. Olympus
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 09:42:22 PM »
Tony Smith - I hope this isn't a hi-jack, I have a semi-related question.
Do you know if the Jaycar Hall effect sensors are any different than the ones I see in other places?  I know it necessary to be careful and that there are really crappy counterfeits out there.  But since the Jaycars are made in China, I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to identify a better Chinese version vs a bad one.
Jaycar now has a US website so ordering is easier now but probably cheaper if I could find them closer to home.
1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 05:13:12 PM »
BPT

Jaycar sell a Siemens Hal effect device HKZ101. It is electrically similar enough to the OEM Honeywell 2AV54 to be a Drop in replacement.

I was initially concerned that the leads were not coated in high temperature insulation, however my experience a d that of 100s of other people has shown this to be groundless.

I have a stock beancan converted to HKZ101 and Emerald Isle also used them.

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 05:45:41 PM »
Sorry, my dog pressed the post button.

There are now Chinese manufactured 2AV54 devices available, I bought some a couple of years back. One tested faulty fresh out of its bag, the next one I tried worked - sort of. I would not use one in my motorcycle.

To my mind, the very best ignition system available is a stock beancan fitted with a HKZ101. Lock (or remove entirely) the mechanical adv/RTD unit and use. Wedgetail ICU.

The Wedgetail ICU-

Looks after advance/retard electronically
Has the ability to run any coil(s) fitted to Airheads
Is supported by enthusiastic and knowledgeable Australian manufacturers (unlike the now disappeared Emerald Isle)
Looks cool with its little flashing diagnostic LEDS.

Offline mrclubike

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 08:53:23 PM »
Its a shame the Emerald Island ICU did not work as advertised
I tried 3 different ones and none of them would advance the full 26 DEG as advertised I could only get 20 out of them
The Bean can on the other hand is a very High quality part
If I ever decide to use it again I will  try  a Wedge-tail ICU
Here is a picture of the inside of the E-I can
What is interesting is that there is another location in it to except a spare Sensor

For now I am using my HEI converted system 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:56:50 PM by mrclubike »
2004 R1150R

Offline mrclubike

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 09:06:48 PM »
Hey Tony
How would someone buy a WT ICU
I do not see any where to buy one
I just see a Face book page
2004 R1150R

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2021, 09:47:48 PM »
To buy a Wedgetail ICU, they are still in pre-production, message Mark Morrissey, or Paul Langdon and take it from there.

Offline BPT

• Lives at Base of Mt. Olympus
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 02:16:09 PM »
Thanks for your response Tony.  I'm guessing that the ones from Jaycar can be trusted much better than some random ebay selection. I was wondering if the Jaycar ones might be the same as some others I've seen online that might be closer to home (for shipping purposes).  The markings all look the same but I don't know if it's possible to tell if one version comes from a great Chinese factory vs a crap Chinese factory.  I guess I can go with Jaycar if they'll be more reliable.

As for the Wedgetail, I've been following it on the Facebook groups. I put my name on an email list, had one response asking for my bike info, then nothing.  I posted a couple of times asking for updates (and also sent a msg to that email address) and if they knew about when it might be in the US but no reply to that either.  Very strange since Mark Morrissey is usually very responsive to other questions people put up.
I'd assume that it'll take a bit to get to the US but it seems odd that there's absolutely no info about its release. Last time I tried the webpage it just had a link to get on the above mentioned email list.
1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar