Author Topic: Brake line routing Question R65LS  (Read 133 times)

Offline dorydan

Brake line routing Question R65LS
« on: April 17, 2021, 08:49:06 PM »
Hi All,

I am replacing the brake lines on my 82 R65LS (twin Brembos) AND ALSO reinstalling the fabled fairing to reduce front end lift by 30%  ;)    The bike is new to me, has the high handlebars, and was missing the bottom half of the fairing.  Can someone with a more or less original LS tell me:

1. does the upper brake line go fore or aft of the fork tube? 
   2. is that upper brake line about 10" long or is it more like 12.5" long?

I am thinking maybe it is supposed to go behind the fork because I just received some Spiegler lines and the upper line is only ~10" long and will definitely not reach if I route it the same way as the old one (picture).  Plus, after I mount the fairing, I can't see how the line could go in front of the fork because the black fairing panel would be in the way.....

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Bob_Roller

• Global Moderator
  • ? GMT -7 Hours
Re: Brake line routing Question R65LS
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 01:47:17 PM »
Here is what my '82 LS looks like .
The upper line is 12.5 inches long .
I'm the third owner, the lines were replaced before I took possession of this bike,  so I don't know if this is the correct routing or not .
I just measured the length of the handlebars on the '82 and '83 LS, the '83 has low bars, the '82 has high bars .
Don't know if the bars on the '82 were replaced by a previous owner or not, don't look like they have been disturbed since the bike was assembled at the factory .
I'm betting that the line you have from Spiegler is for low bars .
From their site, they have numerous part numbers for LS line kits, but no length of the lines in the kit .
I'd give them a call tomorrow and explain the situation, usually they are quite helpful in resolving issues .
Good luck .
If you going to order lines from Spiegler and not sure what you need, send them the lines .
Here's a page from RealOEM, this is for my '83 LS, shows both high and low bars, so it looks like you could have either from the factory .

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0365-USA-08-1983-248-BMW-R65LS&diagId=32_0741
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 03:24:48 PM by Bob_Roller »
'81 R65
'82 R65 LS ?
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

Offline dorydan

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 12:31:44 PM »
I'm betting that the line you have from Spiegler is for low bars

Thanks for sending that info Bob, that was very helpful.  Gotta love this forum!  I think you are absolutely right regarding the low/high bars.  I called Spiegler this morning and they said they only have the 10" line listed for R65LS, but they will gladly make a 12.5" for me.  Something to be aware of for sure if ordering new lines.......

Thanks again.

Dan

Offline SIMONGS

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 12:38:45 PM »
Does this help you?  Here's the brake line from master cylinder, and the splitter.  The line goes in front of the fork .
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 12:41:09 PM by SIMONGS »

Offline dorydan

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »
Hi Simongs- thanks, that helps.  It looks like your upper line feeds into the LEFT tap on the manifold/splitter.  Mine (presumably from the factory) went into the RIGHT tap on the manifold.  Not that it changes the function any, but that is another consideration for anyone looking to get new lines.  Bottom line is, at least for my 82 R65LS with the higher US bars, the upper brake hose needs to be a MINIMUM of 12.5" long (next time I will go to 13") from banjo center to banjo center in order to go from the MC to the right port on the manifold.