The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Car drivers  (Read 571 times)

Offline dogshome

Car drivers
« on: February 18, 2021, 02:45:54 PM »
The age old rant.

I drive around a big city (Nottingham) which has the worst, most aggressive drivers around. In a car, unless you know, it can be painful. On a bike, since there are lots of other bikes, its no problem.

In my town there are not many bikes at all. So drivers fall into some categories. Good (see you, appreciate you are vulnerable and give a friendly wave), Hopeless (I didn't see you, know bikes existed, using phone, 14 kids in back etc) and bad. The bad ones come within 1ft of your back wheel, expect to take control of the highway at lights or throw a door open in front of you. The 1ft guys are hard to deal with. Pulling over makes them slow down and wonder what you are doing, going faster makes no difference and slowing or waving them on seems to aggravate them. Tricky. Keeping in the usual position at the normal speed normally with this dick right up behind you takes guts and unfortunately is the only safe way.

The door throwers are usually easy to spot and I'm out over the white lines or slowed ready.

The taking control guy was out tonight. I wasn't racing, revving or doing anything unusual, just zipped away as the light changed. Quickly doing about 32MPH (the limit is 30) in town and pootling along happily. Next second, 2 tonnes of black Mercedes comes howling past (still accelerating) albeit at a safe distance from me at a great speed. Why? I guess he has now knowledge of bikes, even really old ones nip off quickly and no I'm not looking for a fight.

God help any peds, OAPs or just normal drivers in front of him. It's more than likely a him.

Here endeth the rant.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 02:50:07 PM by dogshome »
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline marcmax

• Any day on two wheels is a good day
Re: Car drivers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
Makes me wish we could use the trick that the hot rodders used to use here in the states back in the 1950's. Add a spark plug into the tailpipe and hit a switch and ignite the unburned petrol. It would shoot about a 3 foot flame out the exhaust. That might back them up a little.  ;D
Keep your bike in good repair: motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.

1982 R65ls    1984 R65ls

Offline dogshome

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 12:06:16 PM »
I've noticed something similar whilst driving my lad's Hyundai i20. Not as bad, but definitely closer from the Audis, BMWs and others. People tend to stay off the back of the Saab. My old 900 had huge bumpers and that really made a difference. People just stayed away. The i20 isn't super slow (80BHP), but looks, well, feminine? Not aggressive so people tend to get closer.  Chonky Saab with towbar and big bumper gives a different message. My missus says the towbar is a phallus.....

200Hp, 450+ NM and a choking cloud of black smoke also comes in handy, but I haven't had to do that for for a couple of years!

Strangely never had a problem in my 9-3. Huge intercooler, standard but golden size turbo, 3" exhaust and additional engine mount to hold the engine in the frame. Wheelspin at 60 on a dry road in 3rd. I must get another Saab petrol turbo before they all drop to bits. Several cars such as Aston V12 Vantage, Chrysler Crossfire (LOL), various Scoobies (not the really souped up ones!) and Audis not as fast as you might think. The RS4 though put me in my place and the newer BMWs, AMGs etc also a lot faster. 5K vs 100K though.

Flames you say??   :flamethrowingsmiley:

Offline dogshome

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 12:56:47 PM »
The old girl does seem to have run in a bit more (860 on 650 gearing). I wouldn't say the front wheel was pawing the air away from the lights tonight, but give it some between 3,000 and 4,000 in the lower gears and the planet moves backwards very nicely. It was dry, clear and cool with little traffic and no peds or parked cars. I was playing Hindley Street Country Club on the human sound system/ beat box and generally in a good mood. I therefore didn't really notice the guy on my back wheel when the lights changed. 1 second teleport: one instant I'm a target to hassle / get around, the next I've blinked out of existence and re-appeared 300 yards away. Just getting my gloves off to fetch dog biscuits as he went past. This all happened below 40MPH in a 40 limit by the way.

My missus wants a 125, I've strongly suggested she does her CBT on a loaner and go straight to a 400 or similar. On a 125 I'd have been harrassed tonight. She's been driving safely for several years, although recent speeding has been an issue in the works giant people carrier with equally giant and quiet diesel engine! A toilet seat / going out with the lads tonight subject - any tickets tonight dear?  :beerchug:

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 09:43:08 AM »
Makes me wish we could use the trick that the hot rodders used to use here in the states back in the 1950's. Add a spark plug into the tailpipe and hit a switch and ignite the unburned petrol. It would shoot about a 3 foot flame out the exhaust. That might back them up a little.  ;D

I had a 1964 Corvair that I drove for a while when I was a teen and I put a louder muffler (Thrush) on it, t wasn't straight thru but baffled.  While at road speed I could pull the choke, turn off the ignition for a few seconds, and then push in choke and turn ignition back on.  After this convoluted procedure I was always rewarded with a loud boom and a decent flame coming out of the tailpipe.  The only drawback was that on occasion it would spit the muffler off as well!
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!

Offline Barry

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 10:36:18 AM »
[  After this convoluted procedure I was always rewarded with a loud boom and a decent flame coming out of the tailpipe.  The only drawback was that on occasion it would spit the muffler off as well!

My first bike 50 years ago was a little Ducati Monza 160 single.  The ignition key was a very crude device and had the habit of popping out and cutting the ignition while you were riding along. Once when this happen I popped it back in again and the explosion blew the tail section and baffle out of the end of the silencer.  Before I could stop and pick it up a lorry ran over the baffle. Ducati spares were unobtanium, so as you do at the age of 16 I bodged a baffle made from a bean can and steel wool. Worked quite well but the steel wool needed regular replacement.
Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

Offline dogshome

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 12:26:16 PM »
My favourite corner is now on Google yellow man. This went in a couple of years ago, is preceded by some nice country corners, then you open up onto this before a wide open island after a right hand reversal. It's like the last drop on the roller coaster before getting wet. The attraction is the perfect surface, ideal curve and that you can see for miles before the right hander and the island. If going round that, then there is a new really high speed bend. Unfortunately that one turns into the old b road which is potholed, rough and gravelly. So be prepared. Waving at the Maserati loading up in the curve coming the other way was fun. He seemed to be equally chilled out and just enjoying the sunshine and this curve.

Offline Kelvin

• R65LS
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 02:54:40 PM »
This is the advisory sign at the beginning of my favourite stretch of road, on the Oxley Highway between Walcha and Wachope in NSW (Australia). It's not local (400km north of Sydney). It is mostly 35 and 45km/h corners on good surface. It winds through national park, there are no towns until you get down to the coastal plain.
1983 R65LS 1985 to 1988
1983 R65LS 1996 to present.
1984 R65LS 2019 to present.

Offline dogshome

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 12:35:39 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline dogshome

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 02:21:40 PM »
Kids are back at school  :)
Mums and dads are back in cars  :o

Passing the local Primary at home time is like playing Doom on hardest level! Incoming!

Offline dogshome

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 02:25:11 PM »
I feel the need for white traffic cop gloves. HALT! TURN LEFT! INDICATE! DON'T STOP with half the car hanging out in the lane! GRAB THAT KID!

Something Kenny Everett size would be suitable.

Offline dogshome

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 06:46:18 AM »
I've found the summer helmet, shades and Covid mask combo tends to make drivers think twice before pulling out on me.

Offline skippyc

• Shouldn't have sold them old bikes.
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 06:04:45 PM »
I've found the summer helmet, shades and Covid mask combo tends to make drivers think twice before pulling out on me.
I think that's fantastic and funny.

Offline Burt

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 09:37:57 PM »
:thumbsup:

My old 65 has been down that road in the past.  Great bit of road except last time when on the downhill section towards the coast a silly old bugger with a caravan decided to be difficult.  As it was a group run I took off after that and was waiting for the others just before the next town. 

Another favourite road is between Gloucester and Walcha.  Although the coast road has improved, I still prefer the New England Hwy. 
Black 1984 R65 - the Wombat

Offline dogshome

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 01:49:11 PM »
We are out of lockdown and all the cage drivers are no longer afraid of going in hospital. A brand new Volvo pulled up within an inch of me today. I was out of gear and waiting for the light. So I let my hands off the bars and had a good stretch.

I just happened to let the bike roll back that inch and touch the 40,000 automobile bonnet.

Lots of wriggling I can see in the mirror. Did he scratch it?

I hope so!