Author Topic: Brexit and Airhead parts  (Read 131 times)

Offline dogshome

Brexit and Airhead parts
« on: January 31, 2021, 12:57:48 PM »
The sandstorm on the horizon has finally hit. I should have bought two Siebenrock 860 kits in 2020, the second one to resale in the UK at a grossly inflated price later in 2021. Welcome back duty free, visas, driving cards, VAT and customs charges, expensive holidays, special medical insurance, dodgy third world food, credit card charges abroad and un-common standards. Back to the good old feudal kings and poverty.

The EU isn't a well oiled machine (see recent vaccine troubles) but it is a big one and everyone knows how it works. Like most small industry I expect the Airhead parts supply chain will take a massive hit and price increases both sides of the channel. Whether it equals out to before 2021 remains to be seen. So don't repair anything airhead in the UK for the next 24-48 months or it will probably start to cost.

I just had the same problem with a Saab part (manufactured in the EU) and even major players like Siemens are struggling to distribute stuff in the UK now. Hopefully our local suppliers will get through, but I can see prices going up as supplies dwindle.

[Definitely in RANT section]
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline dogshome

Re: Brexit and Airhead parts
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 01:15:43 PM »
As expected, more stuff is proving difficult to get and prices increasing. Cable being the latest. Not 2M of 3 core flex, 500M of 12 pair instrumentation cable. The UK-only stuff stocked in the UK is still OK at the minute (Steel Wire Armoured, like 3 pin plugs in UK) but anything that isn't house bashing or fish and chips (instrumentation cable being a la Carte) is going up and becoming longer delivery.

Sausages are a bad subject with Brexit right now and so is fish actually!

Vaccines are of course exempt from any kind of national inequality or control measures, which you would expect in the modern world.......ish.  Brexit is attributable to people and free decisions. At least the barrels and pistons I sold to my former EU brother in Spain have been found and will get to him eventually. I hope I get to Spain, Italy and France again in the near future and also hope you are doing OK and I am looking forward to a Sangria / Pernod / Limoncello with all of you soon.

Where is the RANT! Button, oh there it is  :furious3: and this one for good measure  :argue:
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline nhmaf

• Global Moderator
  • Free at last, Free at last!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 08:44:14 PM »
It has been a few years since my last Motobins order, but I am wondering about the price and export/import cost impacts since the change.   Supposedly the US will work out a new trade agreement with Great Britain, but I have no idea where that is on the priorities list with our new president.
Airhead #12178 ? BMWMOA #123173 ?BMWRA #33525 ?GSBMWR #563 ?1982 BMW R65LS ?1978 BMW R100/7 1998 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 01:08:41 PM »
I would think it would be a good bet that Biden will either drag his feet or do something to "slap" Britain since he is a Globalist.
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!