Author Topic: Tequila!  (Read 70 times)

Offline dogshome

• I Love YaBB 2!
Tequila!
« on: January 10, 2021, 11:40:17 AM »
A few weeks commisioning in Piedras Negras last year has given me a taste for Tequila.... Oh dear.......

Altos Platas is clear (Petrol) but quite smooth and tangy. Possibly favourite...
Gran Orendain (Reposado) is a little too smooth and not cheap.
1880 (Anejo) is very nice and also not cheap.
Sierra (Reposado), very nice and half the price of the others.....

So I now know there is a whole industry to equal the scots and whisky selection and am open to tasting suggechions. i mean suggestions  ;D
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
Re: Tequila!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 12:30:00 PM »
I've always been partial to Jose Cuervo...
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!

Offline Matt Chapter

• <insert witty remark here>
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 01:35:54 PM »
Just wait until you get into Mezcal - the scotch to tequila's bourbon.  Tequila is third ranking on my list, after whiskey (and variants) and gin, so I don't drink much of it.
'86 R65 with '84 motor ~67000 miles. ?SS lines, Spiegler rotor, Progressive monoshock, Keihan silencers, a piece of Pichler fairing.
'76 CB400F ~26000 miles. ?Weepy SS lines, big dent in the tank.

Offline dogshome

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 01:53:02 PM »
I think the Mexicans refer to Mezcal also as 'petrol'. Will I suffer pinking on the wrong grade? What about my piston? I don't want degradation on the crown!  :vrolijk_1:

Offline dogshome

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 02:03:38 PM »
I was fed Gin and egg nog by my gran so to speak, so both of those are a no-go area now. After puking on my friend's dog (and subsequent cleanup) as a teenager, Jack Daniels is also on the naughty list. Southern Comfort? Bleeeeuuuuucchhhhhh!!!!!

The Islay whiskies can be nice, but a pounding headache and need to destroy the world at 3am screaming "They'll never take our freedom!" tends to put me off. Offshore trips at 5am with a marmalade and whisky toast breakfast also helps me to think twice. The Irish stuff can't be given to my wife. Stretcher and cloud 9 after a couple of drams for her. Visiting the Bushmills site basically lost 24 hours in her life whilst I was fishing and waiting for her return to humanity.

This tequila stuff seems pretty harmless though?  ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 02:11:27 PM by dogshome »

Offline dogshome

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 02:06:51 PM »
The Romanians have some sort of plum brandy that doubles as ignition octane improver. There is NO WAY I am ever touching that stuff EVER again! Russia seems to have a staple diet of screen defroster and that is also to be avoided. Blue, clear or otherwise! Also sold by the gallon with safety warnings i.e. don't drink, get on skin, expose to naked flame or humans.

A Toilet Duck / Vodka cocktail can't be recommended despite the upbeat moniker of 'Blue Russian".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 02:11:58 PM by dogshome »

Offline BPT

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 01:34:14 AM »
I'm not sure about the term "Petrol". The clear stuff should be labeled Blanco (white) or Plata (silver). Usually un-aged. Reposado is aged a bit in barrels and Aņejo is aged the longest. I like Aņejos for sipping although any age can be decent to sip if it's good quality. I've never been much for shooting it.

Like a lot of booze categories over the last decade or so, Tequila became popular and trendy and exploded with tons of brands. I'm not too current with what's good out of the newer ones.

I've always thought Don Julio was a good, safe one if you just wanted to grab a bottle without thinking. Classic, good, not cheap but not crazy expensive.  Kind of like Macallan Scotch, always a nice standby.  If you want to spend some money, Don Julio 1942 is really nice, but definitely spendy.
Other "normal" brands (common in stores, been around a while, not boutique brands or too expensive) that I like would be Milagro, Centenario, Corralejo and Herradura. I've never understood the appeal of Patron. To me it's always seemed overpriced, not horrible but not great, way too many other ones to try with more character and that are less expensive. Get 100% agave. The good ones will be anyway and nowadays there are plenty of cheap ones that are 100% as well, so no need to bother with the lesser stuff.
Like Matt said, mezcal is worth a look as well. It was always known as the cheap crap with the worm in it in the US but, like so many things, there's more to it than that.  Tequila can only be made from blue agave, but mexcal can be made from a bunch of different varieties.  So there's a big range of flavors you can get from that category.  Off the top of my head, I only know one brand name, and it also depends where you're located as to what's available.   The one I know is Del Maguey. There are several different ones that they do and a crazy range of flavors - sweet, smoky, mild, strong, etc. They're made in small villages and done very traditionally, donkeys turning the millstone and stuff.  Look them up and you'll see the different flavor profiles from them.  Many more mezcals to explore though, I'm just blank on any specific names.......
One more thing to check out, if you can find it, is Sotol. Similar to mezcal and Tequila, kind of like a rougher cousin. Made from a different plant. Interesting stuff, more from Northern Mexico. It was known as a kind of moonshine where if you were in little out of the way bars in Mexico, each bar might have their own, different version of it made by someone locally. I've known guys in Texas who lived and traveled in the border areas and that's how they discovered it, in the tiny village cantina places. Sometimes firewater, sometimes like horsepiss, but every once in a while you'd get lucky and uncover a gem. 
I don't think Sotol took off like Mezcal, but quite a few years ago there were a couple of "proper" brands that came to the US. Very cheap compared to Tequila and was a pleasant surprise with how nice it was to drink. Bold and definitely had some flavor but smooth enough to sip. I haven't looked for that in a while so I'm not sure if it ever took off or if it disappeared.

Hope that wasn't too wordy.........
1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

Offline dogshome

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 02:03:30 PM »
Words are good. I'll have a look for your suggestions whilst pushing my electronic shopping basket along the HTTP isle  8)

I'd heard of Tequila, but never tried it until entering one of those Northern border towns a couple years ago. What suprised me was the Friday Night pickup truck and sixshooter brigade. I put a shirt on to go out on a weekend, they sling a gun. The ones without showey holsters were a bit more worrying on a Friday night.

The Charcoal Grill isn't cheap (but fine by UK comparison) and they do a good spread. The Tierra Santa is very up-market with a wierd and wonderful selection. Roy's barbecue good cheap grub, but the bar sort of associated left a bit to be desired. The staff caff at Carbon II (Shhh!) also had its little gems - the Chef who looked after everyone on site.  I can't remember what she cooked, but whatever was the special of the day was worth having. The contractors caff not so great. Even the instant coffee was awful and potentially dangerous. The owner reminds me of Cut-me-own-throat Dibbler. Equally horrific, grubby and unsanitry. A mexican gator on two legs.