The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Anyone here replaced the vinyl on your seat via one of these....  (Read 611 times)

Offline svejkovat

• I Love YaBB 2!
Anyone here replaced the vinyl on your seat via one of these....
« on: December 11, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
https://www.meyer-bikes.de/index.php?page=details&art=52000000004

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-84-BMW-R65-replacement-SEAT-COVER/372709193894

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R65-1981-86-seat-cover-for-cowl-type-seat-R-65-And-R45-R-45-280-/150932889886

The first link appears to be the most 'genuine'.  It's German!  The embossed pattern is an OEM match for the original.  The quality of the vinyl
is very likely to be superior to the ebay aftermarkets listed below.   However... there's the hassle of negotiating delivery to Michigan, exchange rates, possible returns if defective or not as advertised, etc.   

Why does German often sound like some wit is just making this shit up as he goes along... just for fun.   Hmm... where to park your ass on a motorcycle...   how 'bout  "sits bank bee-zug"   "HA HA"  They'll all think I speak German!!"   

The last link looks promising.  I actually prefer the clean, no pattern look.  But is it good quality?  There's a lot of hype on the page, which usually
red flags things for me.   

My foam seems to be in good shape still.  Any advice there?   Is custom molded foam needed, or can a novice replace the foam from off the shelf pieces?

I trust my skills to do this well, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's done this installation themselves.

The price is just about right for me.   I may or may not reinstall the passenger strap. 

What would a good automotive/marine upholsterer labor-charge to put one of these on my seat frame?

Thanks for any advice
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 10:17:58 AM by svejkovat »

Offline Bob_Roller

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • -7 hours GMT
Re: Anyone here replaced the vinyl on your seat via one of these....
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 10:28:26 AM »
I've done business with S Meyer numerous times over the last 20 years .
Very satisfied with their products and service .
She is located in Germany, Rhein Main, which I think is the Frankfurt metro area .
Usually sells high quality products, never heard of anyone having issues with the business .
7-10 day shipping to the Phoenix area .
I've had all of my seats worked on by local businesses always came out looking and feeling great, a bit pricey at times .
Check locally to see what you have available .
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 10:34:27 AM by Bob_Roller »
'81 R65
'82 R65 LS
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

Offline Bill Parker

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 08:33:33 PM »
I used one of the Ebay smooth covers to recover my original foam. I used binder clips to stretch the material and then secured with pop rivets. The first time it seemed a little loose, so I removed the rivets and restretched it. That was a year  ago and it still looks good, but seems very soft and may not wear as well as the original. If I had it to do over again, I would use the Meyer product.
1984 R65, 2005 R1200ST

Offline Barry

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 03:44:02 AM »
Different seat but I've used one of the cheaper and thinner covers from Motobins. Although it wouldn't stop me using one, I'm in no doubt that a better quality cover will be harder to fit. You will need to get the vinyl quite warm in order to stretch it into place. It's not a job I would attempt in winter unless you can apply heat using something like a gentle hot air gun.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 03:45:34 AM by Barry »
Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

Offline svejkovat

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 04:18:45 PM »
I emailed Meyers.  They responded that they do not supply instructions with the seat cover. 

Anyone have a good link to youtube or some pdf. that gives a good step by step for how to heat, stretch, fasten one of these?

Offline Barry

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 04:34:47 AM »
The basic method is to stretch the cover into place and secure all the way around using a large number of bulldog clips.  When you are happy with the fit remove a few clips and glue a section at a time in place using contact adhesive.  Not sure of the exact detail of your seat but there will then be some pop riveting to finish off. Take photos of the seat before removing the old cover so you know where the pop rivets go.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45