The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Sprucing up the old R65...  (Read 36664 times)

Offline Adrian

• Lives at Base of Mt. Olympus
  • The Old Hairy Biker Sez...
Re: Sprucing up the old R65...
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 07:17:26 PM »
Hello Adrian from UK - can you tell me something? I've heard that in Australia there are restrictions on use of classic bikes, like need to keep a log for every trip and limited number of days riding in any one year. Is that correct and can you add a few details? Like is it even true? And if so is it for all Oz or only certain states? Thanks!  
P.S. The rego for classic and vintage bikes is only an option. If a rider wants to ride everyday on his old bike then there's no restriction - he just has to rego the bike like the rest of us. Have a great day ....
1984 R65 (860)

raypond

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »
G'day blokes, A little more info on the club permit scheme. It was introduced here in Victoria earlier this year. It replaces a stupid system that only allowed vehicles registered as 'classic' to be used on designated club rides.

The new system allows for any roadworthy vehicle over 25 years old to be put on club rego and used for either 45 or 90 days a year as long as the owner is a member of an approved club. A 90 day permit is about $110 and a 45 day about half that. There are more than 300 approved clubs in Victoria. Normal full rego for a bike is $460

The logbook must be filled out before a trip begins. You're required to enter the date, 'particulars of trip' (ie where you're going), name and signature of user. It only needs to be filled out once a day no matter how many rides you do in that day. If you're caught without the logbook, or it is not filled in, your permit can be cancelled or suspended. There was a rumour that you could be treated as if you were using an unregistered vehicle.

I've got my '52 Ariel on club rego via the BMW club. There was initially a bit paperwork involved but the scheme seems to be working well and we're seeing lots more classic vehicles on the roads. I believe NSW and SA have similar schemes.

Dizerens5

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 03:21:41 AM »
Thanks. This kind of thing is a concern for those like me who ride many dry days all year round (except when near freezing!) but usually only for short distances, like 15 or 20 miles. I believe a number of countries have restrictions. So far in UK the only special provision for classics is a surprising one: no annual tax to pay on vehicles pre-1975 (that date does not roll forward). Any vehicle on the road (even if only parked) has to have insurance and pass the yearly roadworthiness test. That test only requires meeting the tech specifications for the year the vehicle was built, not today's -- luckily for us! However some testers have a pretty shaky knowledge of the details. Others become known for being up to speed on old vehicles.

Offline Adrian

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 05:12:41 AM »
Hi Constellation. Here in Oz minimum insurance is included in the cost of the rego - well at least it is here in South Australia. This covers third party injury only so if an accident is deemed the fault of the rider, any damage to property has to be paid for out of pocket. It is possible of course to buy extra insurance up to fully comprehensive. Some of us poorer bikers seem to take the risk although I think that once the bike is finally rebuilt I'll be making myself afford some decent insurance. At my age - 57 yrs - it's not that expensive for fully comp on my bike. The last time I enquired a few months ago it was less than $500 per year. Basic property damage insurance is only $100 or so. That equates to less than $10 or $2 a week for peace of mind. It makes sense as I spend a lot of time riding out country when I'm well enough to ride in the warmer weather. The roads are empty and have the state maximum speed limit on most of them. In S.A. there are no yearly vehicle tests for bikes or cars that are privately owned. That sounds dangerous but a survey conducted acroas all accidents in Oz over a number of years found that only 3% of those vehicles involved in accidents were found to be unroadworthy. I know I pay dearly to have my old bomb looked after when needed but I do nearly all the maintenance on the Beemer myself. It's also fun.
1984 R65 (860)

Offline Adrian

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 05:16:51 AM »
hzbloke - hi there. A '52 Ariel - sounds lovely. Howz about a pik? Maybe in Chit Chat? Were you aware of the confusion over the helmet laws here in Oz? I've put up a post on Chit Chat about it. It seems that what is legal in one state may not be legal in another.
1984 R65 (860)

Dizerens5

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »
Here the yearly test was introduced in 1962 when there were still some terrible old sheds on the road like 1930s/40s cars with cable brakes and all that. The test cleared most of those away. On the other hand our local m/c dealer and tester told me that even now he sometimes tells customers not to bother, as the bike they bring in is visibly so dangerous there's no point in testing it at all. Like bent frame for example.

Offline Adrian

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 06:32:40 AM »
Here the yearly test was introduced in 1962  
Yes I remember those days before I left the UK for Oz. In those days (prior to 1987) bike shops were genuinely helpful about putting things right if there was a small problem and allowing a re - test only on the affected area. I started bike riding in 1969 at 16 yrs old. I've had a fair few bikes over the years. The Beemer has lasted 19 years with me so far. I might replace it one day if I ever win lotto lol lol.
1984 R65 (860)

raypond

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »
G'day Adrian, Here's the Ariel:

The helmet situation is ludicrous and caused largely by us not accepting that the fact that we are a pissy little country (54th by population). There are about a dozen cities in the world with populations greater than the whole of Oz. None of them feel the need to create their own set of standards for everything from olive oil to toilet seats. Yet we do. Surely with something as global as a helmet we should just accept either EU or US testing as adequate. And don't get me started on the idiocy of having all these separate states making up their own rules.

It's a nice day - I'm going for a ride in my (probably illegal) helmet.

Offline Adrian

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 05:37:19 PM »
G'day Adrian, Here's the Ariel:
Excellent bike mate. Reminds me of my days in England when I owned a Matchless G3. Back in the days when what is now an old classic could be bought for 20 quid. With the helmet laws I wonder what the cops are wearin in S.A. so I'm going to chat with my local and very friendly cop shop about it. If a bike cop rides over into another stae does he get booked for his "non compliance" helmet. Also here in S.A. we no longer have rego stickers to display on cars or bikes. There are stories of S.A. drivers/riders being booked for not displaying a rego sticker that they cannot be issued with. How do the cops deal with that if they have to drive to another state? I'm looking forward to the cops explanation. It's an insane world we live in.
1984 R65 (860)

Dizerens5

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 08:20:05 AM »
Same nonsenses everywhere. In this country it's illegal (and quite often enforced) to overtake on the inside but if you go round London on the M25 ring road (Britain's busiest highway) you see overhead signs ordering you to stay in lane. So what are you supposed to do when you need to overtake? Break the law, or zoom across 3 or 4 lanes. And get done for dangerous driving.

Offline Adrian

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »
Same nonsenses everywhere

I remember the M25 from my pommie biking days apparently it has an unofficial track record held by some bloke in a super car. I watch Top Gear when it's on tv over here and Jeremy and the boys have talked a lot about the road rules particularly on freeways (or motorways in Pommie). I guess the polies are either paranoid and really out to get us or they've lost control of the real problem solving so this kind of law making gives them something to do between holidays breaks or maybe they just like stirring up trouble  [smiley=beehive.gif]
1984 R65 (860)

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I love my Beemers
Sprucing up the old R65...
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »
[movedhere] BMW Technical Q&A, Primarily R65 [move by] Justin B..
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!

Offline Adrian

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »
Well, at last I have some finished items to share from the originl condition thru to the final paint. These are the casings I like to have shiny black. I know it's not original but I like the look. I think its still minimalist in keeping with the ol' girls character. So hopefully the piks will all come up in order. I've used VHT engine enamel with their recommended primer. Both layers baked in the oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour as recommended on the can. This in theory makes the finish almost tough enough to bounce spanners off. I won't be putting that to the test  :D  Adrian ................
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:39:03 AM by Justin B. »
1984 R65 (860)

Offline Burt

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 04:17:24 AM »
Hey Adrain,  

With the upper engine case and the B, M and W lettering, are you planning on rubbing those back to expose the bare aluminium?  

Just a thought but an aluminium polish or polishing it with a small rotary polisher would make it look sweeeet.  Once upon a time we used to use Brasso and fine (400) grit sandpaper on similar items.  Just ensuring that you use aluminium oxide sandpaper and not carborundum.  

My '84 R65 is due for something similar in the future and it is great watching all the little tips and tricks available here.  

Cheers, Burt.  
Black 1984 R65 - the Wombat

Offline Dave 2

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • Airheads: A Blast from the Past
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
Adrian, Real nice job on your cases. Interesting about your paint being baked in the oven. I found the original paint to be very hard, and I 'm wondering how you got them so clean? D2