The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: My Build Experience and Result  (Read 1314 times)

Offline KiwiQLD

• I Love YaBB 2!
My Build Experience and Result
« on: May 04, 2019, 03:14:09 AM »
What started as a tired, but mechanically sound 1984 R65LS (already missing the side covers and LS headlight surround) has come out with a mild makeover.
After looking at options, I decided on a mix of parts from around the globe. My welding is not the best, so decided on bolt on parts and the original parts have helped resurrect other R65’s in the region.
So an overview of what had been done;
Subframe and matching seat, shocks and rear guard arrived from Down and Out Motorcycles UK. Wheels powder coated and fitted with new bearings brake discs and shoes. Tanks and guards painted locally and wanted and modern colour that would still fit the classic lines of the bike. For the minimalist instrumentation, went for an Acewell speedo retaining the Gen light on a home fabricated dash, easy fit and works well with the standard switches. Superbike bars which where sanded on the ends to fit the 22mm perches, new grips to match the brown seat. Lighting courtesy of local supplier and stuck with standard 12v21w indicator globes and relay. To further clean the lines manual choke-pulls fitted.
As a rider with 40yrs experience (including a stint as a courier in London in my younger days)from trail bikes, road bikes and owner of a couple of Vespa, this is my first foray into the airhead world and have found a mountain of knowledge out there to assist, thanks to all those who have posted in the past and shared their experiences. May not to be the purists liking, but suits what I want and what I was looking for, at the budget I could afford.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:45:33 AM by Justin B. »

Offline ged in oz

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • I Love YaBB 2!
Re: My Build Experience and Result
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 05:48:51 PM »
It looks like you’ve done a nice job of it mate. Good on ya.

Did you have any trouble getting a Roadworthy Inspection with your headlight/tailight/indicators? My bike had similar units on it when I got it, but the very first question the inspector asked me (I’m just over the border in NSW) was if they had ADR approval on them. Which they didn’t. I had to change them back out to originals before they’d put plates on it down here.

I’m actually a big fan of the original LS’s... I even remember the first one I ever saw! I was living in inner city Brisbane in the early ‘80s and a mate turned up one afternoon on his brand new red LS. Wow. It was quite a sight - despite the white sandshoes. I actually had a ‘66 Vespa 150 Sprint at the time, which was fine for inner city living, but I think the LS inspired me to go and get a job! :)

Offline ged in oz

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 05:52:43 PM »
I’ve been talking to a bloke locally and I’m trying to line up a nice looking, (but very tired and sick mechanically) LS as my next project.

Offline KiwiQLD

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 06:23:57 PM »
Hi Ged, both headlight and tail light are ADR approved. Never had any problems with aftermarket indicators, added an additional reflector below the number plate to keep it completely legal. Cheers.

Offline ged in oz

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 03:21:20 AM »
How do you find it on the road? I’m putting heaps of klm’s on mine and enjoying it immensely, other than flat tyres! and the general tuning and electrical issues that you’d expect with a 35 year old vehicle....

What are those tyres you’ve got on it?