The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Custom restoration - R65LS  (Read 14771 times)

Offline peteremc

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
Re: Custom restoration - R65LS
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 07:31:49 AM »
Cheers Tony. You'll see the real thing around the ridges. My bikes are for riding and spend as little time in the garage as possible.
peteremc

1982 R65LS (Custom restoration complete)
2000 FLHRCI Harley Davidson Road King Classic (Hotrod)
2015 FLHTK Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited (The Tourer)

Offline peteremc

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 07:36:26 AM »
Ooops, hit Post too soon.

Not sure what distances I'll be doing on this, but Port is easy and will be a regular trip as well as tours of the Tablelands on a nice day would be a lot of fun via the Gillies etc.

I'm 2 washers for the fuel taps away from starting it now and can't wait. Hoping the washers arrive tomorrow. That'll make my weekend! I also broke a choke return spring, but figure I can deal with that until a new one comes.

Cheers
peteremc

Offline black pearl

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 04:22:13 PM »
Fantastic thread. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Billmc

• Still Crazy After All These Years....
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »
So Peter what's the latest word after 6 months?
How did it start/run and how does it handle?
Any new picts would be great!
1987 R65 Silver

Offline marcmiller001

• "Luck is where opportunity meets preparation."
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »
Since I can't see if this was ever answered, since I am replacing my front fork internals - I am having a hard time locating the proper parts to replace the disintegrated "bumpers" - anyone know of a solution/source for the pieces I need?

Now I see what I'm dealing with. Monte, looks like yours were in relatively good shape. I popped out the damper rod seats and the remains of the bumpers (both sides) pretty much fell off and disintegrated just like this.
Marc Miller
Pro Race Driver
Dodge Viper GT3-R / Porsche Cayman GT4 / Porsche 911 RSR
'82 BMW R65LS

Offline stubmw

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 02:11:05 PM »
If you check out my thread:  Another fork question!  ALL the advice from Barry worked a treat for me.

Offline marcmiller001

• "Luck is where opportunity meets preparation."
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »
If you check out my thread:  Another fork question!  ALL the advice from Barry worked a treat for me.

I will do that - thanks stub!
Marc Miller
Pro Race Driver
Dodge Viper GT3-R / Porsche Cayman GT4 / Porsche 911 RSR
'82 BMW R65LS

Offline peteremc

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2018, 04:50:42 AM »
Well, 12 months on from when Billmc was looking for an update on my first 6 months - sorry Bill, didn't see it - I have to admit that I had a bumpy start at getting the bike back on the road for about 6 months.

I knew the motor, gearbox and drive train were all good. It was the electrics that let me down and I had a 6 month tussle with them.

First, it was the regulator. I surprised myself by diagnosing and fixing this as I've admitted previously on this forum that I was away from school the day we did electricity. Can't recall the specifics but I seem to recall that I had a one pot wonder (previous thread of this title under technical area) and ended up tracking it back to the regulator, which I replaced. Then I had 2 pots firing!

The bike would then run for 10 – 15 minutes and then cough, splutter, stall, try to run again and then repeat the cough, splutter ….  I suffered the indignity of having the bike strapped to the middle of the bed of a very large tow truck and delivered to my home - from about 5 blocks from home. Nearly made it. When it cooled down it would repeat the pattern.

This prompted removal of the pod filters and replacement of the original air intake as excluding this as a cause of the problem. It remains that way until today, but this had no effect.

This time I sought expert advice to find out it was the ignition module which was overheating, so it was replaced, complete with heat sink paste this time.

At some stage I also discovered that it was a mistake not to include the generator warning light on my restored bike, as it is part of the circuit that charges the battery. Don’t ask me how I found this out. I now have one reinstalled.

Then it was time for a final tune and the coil failed and was replaced. This was, I think, just another coincidence of timing.

And so, with new regulator, ignition unit and coil, it ran really, really well! It might’ve taken about 6 months to sort out, but it now goes really, really well. The final tune was done by someone who makes a living out of working on Beemers, mostly airheads and he said he took it for a 15 minutes test ride and ended up in the hills 40 minutes later and not wanting to head home.

A friend who also rides an 83 LS took it for a ride and said it was truly like riding a brand new bike. He was very impressed. It’s not a long distance rider because of the seat / pegs / bars set up, but it just deadly on the local ranges and so much fun. It’s probably a younger person’s bike and a very different package to my Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited!

I have not had one hint of a problem since the final tune and coil replacement and it’s an absolute joy to ride. I’ve attached a couple of my favourite photos of the bike, which incidentally show off a bit of God’s own country where we live in Far North Queensland. Since the photos, I’ve replaced the Staintune sports mufflers with a set of Emgo reverse cone mufflers. They’re loud and I may switch back, but they much better suit the look of the bike.

Cheers

peteremc

Offline peteremc

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2018, 04:51:56 AM »
Another shot
peteremc

Offline peteremc

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2018, 04:55:02 AM »
Last one
peteremc

Offline Billmc

• Still Crazy After All These Years....
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2018, 11:09:55 AM »
Thanks for the update Peter and VERY nicely done!!!
Although it is not really my style(old, bent back you know)  I can appreciate your interpretation and execution and I'm sure it handles wonderfully,  and your coastline is spectacular!!!
1987 R65 Silver

Offline wilcom

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2018, 09:35:55 PM »
I love your color scheme, The "in your face" red frame with the conservative dark grey is pure art! Nice job Sir.

Nothing has changed since my earlier comment, It's a beauty. Well done indeed!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:39:37 PM by wilcom »
Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS "Herr Head"
past:
1982 BMW R65LS
1979 R65
1980 R65
1982 R80RT
1974 R90/6
1972 R75
1964 R50/2
19xx R27
ZX-11

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I love my Beemers
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2018, 10:43:59 PM »
I really dig the "big-bike" gas tank on that!  Looks super.
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!

Offline peteremc

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2018, 03:38:52 AM »
Thank you gentlemen.

To say that I am delighted with the final result would be a gross understatement, because I had never attempted anything like this before. At times I wondered what the hell I was doing, but the little achievements along the way were all pretty exciting.

So, with many late nights, long weekends, lots of swearing, skinned knuckles and trial and error, three steps forward and two steps back, a fair bit of beer and some really great tips and information from the forum, I have something that is practical and works extremely well, that I really enjoy and that attracts a lot of attention wherever I go.

It is very satisfying when you receive compliments from others, particularly those who know their stuff. It's been a pleasure to share and thank you for all your help.
peteremc

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
May I add my congratulations also. Not my cup of tea (my legs/feet cannot cope with rearsets) but I've seen first hand the work you have put into not only your bike but getting your head around a manufacturer very different to your "normal" ride.

I do love the colours and like others I reckon the /7 tank looks  great on an R65 - they should have come that way!.

When our current weather systems subside we will have to go for that long awaited coffee at either Port Douglas or the Whistlestop at Yungaburra. The way this weather has hung around I may well be in a position to show you how an 860cc R65 performs and how a K100 front end improves handling (or not as the case may be).
1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |