The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: FUEL INJECTED R65, Part:2  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Sosyal

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: FUEL INJECTED R65, Part:2
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 07:58:18 AM »
Hi Evan,
I could not log on to the site and update the progress for a long while and I will be happy to explain/answer as much as my English let me. So, do not hesitate to ask whatever you want.

For the engine position sensor, I've got the pulse from the Ignition Control Unit. I've used an insulated cable (ground wire is coaxial over the live wire) in order to eliminate interference.

Only load on the engine is measured with the TPS. You're right, the black block on the left injector body, which the body belongs to an R11xx BMW.

There's an air temperature sensor attached between the two nozzles at the top cover of air filter.

Engine temperature sensor is located under the air filter. I've dismantled one of the air box screw that keep the box attached to the body and inserted a small sensor with the same thread.

I've a "portable" O2 sensor which can be attached to the exhaust exit of the muffler. This sensor reads the fuel/air ratio on the exhaust and corrects the mixture amount via the custom made control unit.

The unit linked at e-bay is only a processor. We've designed and have it produced a control unit which has the said processor installed. Later on found some errors on the PCB and corrected the faults. I need to re-design the PCB and have it manufactured again. Primary design of the PCB is here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/94158592@N03/8570979497/in/set-72157633036229410

My friend, who is an electronic engineer wrote the whole program. All the settings can be modified with a laptop. Even we put 3 tiny switches on the PCB which can be programmed and used to change the settings. For example, increase/decrease fuel level at various RPMs.

I hope I could answer your questions.

Cheers,
Ibrahim
Cheers,
Ibrahim

Offline Luca

• Taking my time as quick as I can
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 08:46:05 PM »
If the need or desire ever arises to move that "portable" O2 sensor, I bet you could attach it to the rear exhaust crossover pipe.  The pipe might be a bit narrow to simply stick an O2 sensor bung on it, but you could probably fabricate and weld a small box or pipe T onto the crossover and attach the sensor to that.
'82 R65LS
'01 K1200RS

quixotic

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 10:18:48 PM »
Hi Evan,
I could not log on to the site and update the progress for a long while and I will be happy to explain/answer as much as my English let me. So, do not hesitate to ask whatever you want.

For the engine position sensor, I've got the pulse from the Ignition Control Unit. I've used an insulated cable (ground wire is coaxial over the live wire) in order to eliminate interference.

Only load on the engine is measured with the TPS. You're right, the black block on the left injector body, which the body belongs to an R11xx BMW.

There's an air temperature sensor attached between the two nozzles at the top cover of air filter.

Engine temperature sensor is located under the air filter. I've dismantled one of the air box screw that keep the box attached to the body and inserted a small sensor with the same thread.

I've a "portable" O2 sensor which can be attached to the exhaust exit of the muffler. This sensor reads the fuel/air ratio on the exhaust and corrects the mixture amount via the custom made control unit.

The unit linked at e-bay is only a processor. We've designed and have it produced a control unit which has the said processor installed. Later on found some errors on the PCB and corrected the faults. I need to re-design the PCB and have it manufactured again. Primary design of the PCB is here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/94158592@N03/8570979497/in/set-72157633036229410

My friend, who is an electronic engineer wrote the whole program. All the settings can be modified with a laptop. Even we put 3 tiny switches on the PCB which can be programmed and used to change the settings. For example, increase/decrease fuel level at various RPMs.

I hope I could answer your questions.

Cheers,
Ibrahim  

Thanks very much for the info, Ibrahim.  I've been fiddling around with much of this stuff on my Miata (I installed a Megasquirt kit), so I find it exceedingly interesting.  I see that there is a Silent Hektik kit available for the R65, but it's about $3,500.  If I recall, they use an engine temperature sensor hooked up to the cylinder fins.    

Offline Sosyal

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 03:09:29 AM »
After a long interval hello again,

I've 2 new videos for who are interested at the project:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94158592@N03/11943498744/in/set-72157639755385315

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94158592@N03/11943326355/in/set-72157639755385315/

Till from my last post here, I've performed the following:

1) Road tests and optimized the fuel/air ratio on the software
2) Checked and corrected crank position and corrected fuel injection sequence as per the intake valve opening and closing degrees
3) Corrected a fuel flow error at 5.000 rev/min
4) Finalized the fuel line route and changed the fuel hoses with higher quality pressure and heat resistant ones
5) Changed the rear tire
6) Installed reynolds trunk rack and a 22 liter top box
7) Installed an LCD display to monitor fuel flow, engine and air temp., battery voltage, throttle position and rev./min
8) Connected a gas analyzer and checked the exhaust

Remaining works are:
1) Install the O2 sensor and make corrections to the software if necessary
2) Check and adjust the valves if necessary,
3) Cosmetic touch up, such as the pinstripe on the tank and tank emblems
4) Paint the valve and starter covers

It's running smoothly and ready for the Spring :)

Cheers,
Ibrahim
Cheers,
Ibrahim

Offline Sosyal

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 11:19:28 AM »
For those who are interested with my project,

Bike is running perfect (well, frankly speaking I can still make some adjustments but currently it revs up easily) and almost all cosmetics are done except the tank emblems.

Is it possible to post videos here or should I give a flickr link where I will upload them?

To sum up, I've installed a display to monitor throttle position, engine and air temp, battery voltage, rev and fuel ignition amount in miliseconds. Also adopted a throttle/choke cable box from an R1150 for cold start which is operated by the original choke lever.

It seems everything is OK for long a distance ride.

Cheers,
Ibrahim
Cheers,
Ibrahim

Offline Bob_Roller

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • -7 hours GMT
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »
Sounds great Ibraihim !!!!!!

I don't think you can post videos here .
I think Rob Valdez can provide an answer to this question .
But you can provide a link to some site, like youtube for members to view a video, I've seen that before .
'81 R65
'82 R65 LS
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

Offline Sosyal

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »
Well, then here is the link for some photos and videos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94158592@N03/sets/72157642221678424/

Cheers,
Ibrahim
Cheers,
Ibrahim

quixotic

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »
You're one step ahead of Silent Hektic, since they don't have the o2 sensor.  Actually, two steps ahead, since they supposedly don't make them anymore.  

If you have some entrepreneurial spirit, please consider selling kits.  

Offline Sosyal

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 05:46:17 AM »
Hi all, update for the fuel injected R65 are the cosmetics. Still missing the emblems and the wrong color at the side panels but it's there: idling, running and all OK.

Cheers,
Ibrahim
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:47:50 AM by sosyal »
Cheers,
Ibrahim

Offline Sosyal

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 07:29:22 AM »
Hi all,

For those who are interested with my project, my fuel injected R65 (AKA "uber") successfully completed its first long distance ride. Total distance from home to camp area is 400+ km. Fuel consumption was 6.7 litres per 100 km with an average riding at 4.5-5 thousand rpm.

I will upload photos to my flickr album and provide the link.

Cheers
Ibrahim
Cheers,
Ibrahim

Offline Bob_Roller

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • -7 hours GMT
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 11:19:15 AM »
As usual, impressed with what you have done to adapt fuel injection to an airhead !!!!!!! :)
'81 R65
'82 R65 LS
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

Offline Sosyal

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 07:25:26 AM »
Thanks Bob for your encouraging e-mail. A photo of the camp area with Uber is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94158592@N03/17244074465/in/set-72157642221678424

Best,
Ibrahim
Cheers,
Ibrahim