The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: My R65 Cafe Build  (Read 5852 times)

Offline montmil

• Mt. Olympus Resident
Re: My R65 Cafe Build
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 08:50:53 AM »
Looking sharp. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Regarding your -and other owners- change out of hardware to SS cap screws or other nut n' bolt materials; many of the BMW hardware bits have specific length, non-threaded shanks. These shanks are designed to be load bearing. Replacing them with hardware which has threads within the loaded area is not a good idea. The products so bonded can move a bit during operations due to the less than specified tolerances.

Engine, brake and chassis -all have some bolts or screws that must be load bearing. Performance and safety may be degraded by incorrect hardware. Be sure. Be safe.
Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

clonmore1

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
Good advice Monte, I am now at the point of nut/bolt selection in the re-assembly and will be taking no chances!

NathanR65

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 04:36:04 AM »
Did the tube seals and o rings on the heads today. used a couple of skewers to compress the rings worked a charm. Cleaned up the heads and checked the bores etc

NathanR65

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »
I've finally received my frame and various other bits back from the powdercoaters and quite happy with the results. Will touch up the bmw logo on the top cover with some silver paint. Now I can start the rebuild!

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »
this may be completely un-needed advice, in which case I apologize for wasting your time but I remembered something in the course of assembling my own heads yesterday that has been a cause of grief for many.

Your rocker shafts need to go on such that the punch marked end is upper most in order that the oil feed via the upper studs can lubricate the needle rollers.

If your engine has not run for some time, you should move the rocker shaft down about half the length of the rollers and oil them up so that they are adequately pre-lubed, it is also a good idea to ensure that the oil feed is working as soon as possible after first start.

And, if like me, you have a momentary lapse of concentration whilst applying the start up lubrication and end up with needle rollers all over your work bench. A clean plastic lid  with a small quantity of lithium grease smeared in it is the go - after you wash the rollers in solvent put them on the grease smeared lid and work them round a bit, you only need a hint of grease on the rollers and they will stay in lace as you laboriously put them all back in the race.

To anyone wondering, you have the right number of rollers in the bearing when there is a little bit more than one roller's worth of space left, in other words you could put one more in, but not two - that is the way they are designed.
1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |

NathanR65

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 08:00:25 PM »
I followed a youtube video by chris harris for replacing pushrod tube seals and setting valves torquing heads and adjusting rocker arms etc. Didn't remove the rocker shafts so oil is still present and checked this by measuring the play in the rockers once tensioned by pushing up and down on the rocker to see the oil squeeze out at the top and bottom. But thanks for the advice

Offline Adrian

• Lives at Base of Mt. Olympus
  • The Old Hairy Biker Sez...
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 09:20:35 PM »
Hi there mate - this is a great looking project - loved the photos. Its coming together really well. I look forward to seeing the project finished  ;)
1984 R65 (860)

NathanR65

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 06:23:28 AM »
Hi Adrian thanks for the kind words, I have a bit of an update today after a bit too much pondering I started the rebuild! Slow going for me as I wanted to make sure I was setting everything correctly but it almost looks like a bike again instead of a box of parts. To everyone on here that is following I would like to say thank you as it has given me a bit of a boost.

NathanR65

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 06:27:39 AM »
Currently wiring up my acewell speedo and fitting all the electrical components starting to come along !

Offline dav

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • gotta luv the boxer
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 07:15:10 PM »
Looking forward to the end result mate, great job.
BMW R65 ?1981
Ducati 1968 250 mk lll
Suzuki DR250 1983
Yamaha XT250 2015

Offline Luca

• Taking my time as quick as I can
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 08:29:08 AM »
Plenty of folks would still be sitting around looking at a naked frame and drinking beer!  Putting even little bits back on is a huge step forward.  I like the rear turn signals.

That garage looks mighty comfy  ;)
'82 R65LS
'01 K1200RS

Offline steve hawkins

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Lighter, Faster, where's me hacksaw!
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 02:40:21 AM »
You might find the handling a little too lively now that you have pushed the fork tubes up through the top yoke by that much.  You will have shortened your rake and trail.

It might be better to mount those clip-ons under the yoke and have the tops of you fork stations flush with the top surface of your top yoke, unless you have done something with your fork internals.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Rev. Light
Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)

Offline montmil

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 07:51:27 AM »
[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]
You might find the handling a little too lively now that you have pushed the fork tubes up through the top yoke by that much.  You will have shortened your rake and trail.

May have the steering responses of a trials bike. Should be fun at speed.
Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

Superhoholu

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 03:09:28 AM »
Hello buddy,

I saw you got a different fuel tank on your R65. I have a 1980 model R65 (dual shock version), but just can´t "plug n play" fuel tanks from other models, like R75 o R80

How did you manage to fit it there? Did you do any MOD for the tank?

NathanR65

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 09:56:33 PM »
Hi Dong,
As far as I am aware my tank is the original tank for my R65. Its got a bail type mount which locks around the backbone tube and is not bolted in as such. All my relays and plugs etc sit neatly underneath.