The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Daily driver  (Read 1120 times)

quixotic

Daily driver
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:54:15 PM »
All I've done mechanically is put a Euromotoelectric ignition in it.  Makes it a lot easier to start when cold, and it's not a piece of junk like the Boyer.

The fairing is from Airtech.  I got it painted brown at Maaco.  For $150.  They even borrowed the side panels to get the paint matched as closely as possible.  And I can't tell the difference between it and the 34 year old tank paint even when I squint closely.  Very nice job.

For the pinstriping, I ordered a Beugler kit.  I was nervous, but in the end, I was quite happy with it.  From a few feet away, it's practically impossible to tell the difference between it and the tank stripes.  The only drawback is that you need nice edge close by.  So the next time I take the screen off, I'll evaluate that for a stripe in the same location as the R90S.  The front fender will likely get a similar treatment.  I'm not sure about the side panels.  There's no convenient edge, so I may just put some 5/64" stripes down the vent louvres.  The rear panniers have 3/64" stripes.  They went down real nice, but I really should have done something thicker.  Maybe I'll lay down a 5/64" stripe over top at some time.  (The stripe on the fairing is 7/64").

The bolts holding the screen to the fairing are nylon painted with Rust-Oleum All Surface Paint.  Seems to adhere quite well.

The panniers are made of 9-ply, 1/2" plywood, and they're very solidly attached to the bike rack (I assume made for Krausers).  I had some Givi's lying around, but I'm so squeezed for space in the garage, I literally had to count inches when it came to the final width of the bike plus panniers.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:56:44 PM by quixotic »

Offline Dave 2

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • Airheads: A Blast from the Past
Re: Daily driver
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 07:55:47 PM »
What a beautiful job, I love it  [smiley=bmw_smiley.gif] D2

quixotic

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:57:56 PM »
Well, I did the front fender and the side panels.  The fender came out nice because it had the nice long edge.  But the side panels didn't allow for long sweeps with the Beugler tool.  So they show up my non-steady handiwork.  Looks not bad from 5 feet away, but the closer you look, the crappier they look.  

quixotic

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:03:57 PM »
Here's a better shot, showing both areas.

clonmore1

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
loving the fairing...

I really want one of those :D

quixotic

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »
My eye caught the machine at a certain angle today, and it looked insanely beautiful...except for the panniers.  Gotta do something to make them look less boxy.  Winter project, maybe.  

daveschile

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »
Quixotic,
Absolutely LOVE the clean look you've got going here.  And thank you! I love a good A-ha! moment and you provided me with TWO in this       thread... First, the Beugler tool, which I had never heard of, and the idea for "basket" type panniers.

Your plywood baskets are cool, but I agree they don't really match the sleekness of the rest of the bike.  Mainly I love the idea of the basket.  A low-weight, semi-formed unit made of wire mesh or even fiberglass would  be just the ticket.  I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Thanks for your post!
David