The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Dangerous walking into Kawi/Yama/Honda Dlrship  (Read 1755 times)

Offline nhmaf

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Free at last, Free at last!
Dangerous walking into Kawi/Yama/Honda Dlrship
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:50:45 PM »
I've successfully walked in & out of some BMW dealerships lately, and I have certainly noticed several of the bikes, particularly F800GS and R1200R, but I never felt in much danger of losing control of my wallet or checkbook over them.

On the other hand, I was in a local Yama/Kawi/Honda store the other week, and they had a Yamaha Super Tenere and a Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT both decked with panniers, etc. standing side by side.   I was sucked in.   I don't know - I'll always keep an airhead in the garage, but I've been considering trading the trusty ol' Concours in for one of these.   The Super Tenere is definitely closer to a BMW GS/GSA bike than the Kawasaki in terms of gravel roads/off road goes.  Both would be more upright and more capable of handling a variety of road surfaces better than the old Connie.   But, I don't change horses often, or hardly ever.

Has anyone here tried out either of these monsters?   Neither are light/small enough for serious off roading, IMO, but I also am not likely to be getting into really serious off roading now either.   Any input is welcomed.
Airhead #12178 ? BMWMOA #123173 ?BMWRA #33525 ?GSBMWR #563 ?1982 BMW R65LS ?1978 BMW R100/7 1998 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
Re: Dangerous walking into Kawi/Yama/Honda Dlrship
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 01:35:02 AM »

Has anyone here tried out either of these monsters?   Neither are light/small enough for serious off roading, IMO, but I also am not likely to be getting into really serious off roading now either.   Any input is welcomed.

Rode a Tenere, a Vstrom and a Suzi DR650 (and of course BMW 650GS and F700G/S).

The expereince was why I bought a 24 year old KLE 500. I don't need a trail bike, but I do need decent transit speed on dirt and the ability to carry a load. In addiiton to those difficult requirements I need something that can take a licking and keep on ticking. My main argument against the cadre above is fragility, little bits and pieces hanging off everywhere, sensitive electronics, complicated stuff like ABS (what happens in bumfluff nowhere when a stick writes off your ABS wheel sensor?) etc etc.

My specific thoughts on the various options were:-

DR650, just about perfect, these things have travelled the planet, they can carry a load, the one thing they cannot do is sit on illegal speeds for hours on end.

Tenere - When I go adventure riding I go to see the scenery, not to tear it to pieces, this thing is absurdly over powered and it is heavy like you would not believe.

Vstrom - I have to get around the fact that I liked riding the Vstrom more than any bar one of the bikes I looked at, but it is loaded down with electronics, it has various fragile projections that cost a fortune to protect with aftermarket guards, its not light and it has far mroe power than needed.

F700 - Close BMW, but not good enough. The spurious flashing warnings from the tyre pressure sensors were enough to turn me off, plus like everything so far (except the DR) more computing power than it took to put man on the moon.

650GS - This one is almost but not quite a winner, minimal electronics, just about enough power, good suspension and very comfortable. Pretty abotu the reputation for being fragile as soon as you take it off the bitumen.

So, what do I really want? Well my idea of a perfect adventure bike is an R80/R100 Airhead with Ohlins suspension and a 42lt fuel tank. But I can't quite justify one at present, so I have a KLE.

All the KLE needs at present is a fuel tank double the size of stock(fitting a 10lt auxillary tank onto the carrier) and luggage and protection bars (Hepco and Becker are about to make a fortune out of me). On the plus size the KLE is built like a Mack Truck, has almost enough power, has good suspension travel (but the rear shock has to go), decent ground clearance and brakes.

The only other thing worth mentioning about the KLe is that it has the most uncomfortable seat I have ridden on in a long, long time. My local motor trimmer and I are having a chat soon on how to fix that.

And the number one thing in favour of the KLE is cost, if I throw it at the scenery or drown it in a creek I can laugh it off......

And one last thing. Royal Enfield have just released their take on the adventure bike - designed for low maintenance, long fuel range and tough enough to take a beating (apparently). Might be worth a look, but it will cost abotu the same as a good R80/100GS, so it would have to be very, very good.

1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |

Offline NC Steve

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 09:36:36 AM »
I have 2 friends who bought the Super Tenere' in the last two years, one coming from a BMW 1200GS, the other a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. Both have said they would never go back, and that's despite decades of BMW or Moto Guzzi ownership, respectively.
'16 Triumph T100 Bonneville
'19 Royal Enfield Himalayan
82 R65-Blue II, 84 R65-Britta, 84 R65-Ol' Blue, 88 K75C, 99 R1100R
00 Guzzi Jackal, 89 Mille GT, 03 Cal Stone
07 Honda ST1300

Offline nhmaf

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 11:54:23 AM »
If I were to be using it for primarily trails & offroad, I agree a light nimble single thumper is definitely the way to go.   As this would be for replacing my 100+HP  2-up sport tourer, and at least allow me the option of following some bumpy dirt roads & jeep trails, the Super Tenere does seem like a cost effective alternative to a R1200GS/A.    We've had some days of nice weather lately - where I *could* ride the Connie or my R65LS on the pavement if I could somehow get the bikes to navigate the 3/4mile of deep mud that lies between my garage and the main road.   Having a higher ground clearance and dualsport tires would at least make that a potentially successful undertaking.

I generally don't like alot of electronics on motorcycles, but it seems this is the way everything is going - at least for any bikes that are meant for substantial time on the pavement.   ABS makes sense on the pavement, as long as there is a way to turn it off when a logging road looks interesting.
Airhead #12178 ? BMWMOA #123173 ?BMWRA #33525 ?GSBMWR #563 ?1982 BMW R65LS ?1978 BMW R100/7 1998 Kawasaki Concours

Offline montmil

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 11:22:37 AM »
Tony Smith mentioned. "And one last thing. Royal Enfield have just released their take on the adventure bike..."

As luck would have it, the May issue of Motorcyclist arrived yesterday. An item was the new Royal Enfield Himalayan ADV motorcycle. Hopefully, the text of the brief intro article is legible.

The top photo shows additional bars around the engine and soft luggage. Most likely RE accessories. The $5000USD price should generate considerable interest.

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

Offline nhmaf

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
I had recently noticed that new model offering too - and I think RE could have a good seller there - IF- they could find the ability to upgrade the engine sufficiently to be able to get 30-35HP out of it.   Heck, even a Suzuki DR500/SP500 from the 80s/early 90s had that much, and it was a reliable and more capable machine.  25HP out of 400cc for something that weighs 400 pounds that you want to be able to climb dirt hills with just won't cut it.   If RE could offer something approaching more modern power output with EFI, I think they'd sell alot more.  At least they are looking in the right direction, tho. I'd rather they put a 500-550cc engine from the Continental GT, with slightly remapped EFI in it to start with.   Maybe the 400 is low compression and can run on gin or vodka like the old RE bikes ;-)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 04:41:53 PM by nhmaf »