Author Topic: 4 Wheel Money Pit  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Luca

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: 4 Wheel Money Pit
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 05:03:16 PM »
I hate to crash the party... but I had to share.

After re-assembling a guy's KLR650 (and me seeing this in his garage when I went to get the trail tech parts he forgot to give me) he sent this to my brother and I to fix the clutch.

Clutch linkage is a total hack job, but the 350v8 and 5 speed are niiiice

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:05:42 PM by Luca »

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 09:19:51 PM »
Sweet!

Well, at least mine now runs as good as that one looks!  I put my new Holley 4176 on yesterday and this engine has never ran so good.  I'm going to put off the rear disc install until my rear axle bearings get here.
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!

Offline Luca

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 10:17:10 AM »
I like yours.  It's more "approachable"  And mechanically sound...  

On this one the pitman arm nut was hand tight.. the clutch lever that mounts between the block and frame had almost fallen off.  It had a poor mount at the frame, so we cut that out and welded a new, home-made one in place.  Wasn't that hard since the old welds were garbage.  The clutch geometry is all wrong and has worn the linkage out at the joints.  

It leaks power steering fluid with a passion, has a coolant leak, the front tires need to be swapped left to right since both are rotating in the wrong direction... yadda yadda yadda

Keep up the good work on yours!  It's much better to have a properly set up car than a shiny one.  I think the patina is pretty darn cool.

P.S. floor jacks are good at finding filler in the frame

Offline Rob Valdez 79 R65

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 09:14:50 PM »
P.S. floor jacks are good at finding filler in the frame  

That gave me a good chuckle!

I wonder if you could upgrade the power steering unit to something more modern and dependable?

Offline Luca

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
I think the PS pump looks new, the lines don't.  He might have us put the A/C compressor in it, so maybe we'll do the PS lines at the same time if he feels like it.  I think he just needs it up to snuff and he will sell it.

BTW, only wants $28,000.00 for it!

Altritter

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 01:49:51 PM »
From Bengt_Forqs:  <<Justin, don't forget to add the bobblehead dog or Hula Girl on the rear window shelf.  And an old Crowley Eagles high school decal would make a nice touch as well.>>

And how about a "suicide spinner" attached to the rim of the steering wheel? Bonus points if it has a "nudie" embedded in it?  :D

Offline montmil

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
...And how about a "suicide spinner" attached to the rim of the steering wheel?

Neckin' Knob -common to old Texas pick'em ups.

Left hand steering, right arm wrapped around your honey and she's shifting the "three on the tree". And, yes, bonus points for a nekkid girl.
Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »
I wouldn't want to mess up my leather wrapped Toronado steering wheel!

Just finished putting on new rear wheel bearings (excuse to buy HF 20 ton press) and rear disc brake kit this week.  This weekend Suraklyn and I hope to replace the windshield and rear glass seals.

I still have brake issues (low pedal) but I think it's going to turn out to be master cylinder related...
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!