Author Topic: 71 trump bonnie 650  (Read 3742 times)

Jon_P

Re: 71 trump bonnie 650
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 12:30:40 AM »
it is still going to be a OIF!!

the front end rake will be stock zx636 it is at 27 degrees, wheel base a little longer helps the stablity but not to long so it effects handling, that swingarm looks alot longer but in fact it is 1.5" longer.

the rectanglar tubing is stronger per pound over round tubing. that .083 wall tubing can take me standing on it clamped down to the bench hanging out 4 feet and i weight 280lbs. at 6'3" tall. before i stood on it i had it clamped to the bench and had 180 lb hanging from the end, there was no deflection. it was at 32" above the floor with or without weight. for grins i took a 1.25"x .120 wall round tube clamped to the bench with the same weight. the deflection measured almost 4 inches, with the weight it bent down almost 4 inches, once the weight was removed it moved back almost back to zero but it did have a bend. that is why you see newer sport bikes use rectanglar tubing, it is stronger and lighter as long as the length is in plane with the weight applied.

there is more crossbracing going to help firm it up, if i trusted the casting on the main cases and heads i could hang that engine from the backbone with out having the lower frame rails, so all they are really there for is to hold the engine. i will make a upper engine mount that bolts onto the head to tie the upper and lower together.

has far as learning all this? i have to admit i have gone to school for engineering. i need to go back cuz i am only a couple credits from getting my degree. but i am more afraid that would take me away from leading a great team of guys in the shop and being stuck behind some desk. plus i am the only guy on the floor who has a r-stamp in welding. a r-stamp means i have the proper education and hands on practice to weld on pressure vessels (i weld on propane tanks, the big one you see going down the road behind trucks).

as far as how do i get the time to do that? i have a great wife! bar none. she hates it but understands that is my release from my work, so i get two hours a night to work before my family gets home, once they get home i go into the house and make supper for the family. the weekends i get to also have out in shop but the cool thing is i have helpers! my boys like hanging out there with me.

fastcataz

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 08:45:35 PM »
Lucky man.

Offline Semper Gumby

• Dances with cow!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 09:46:51 AM »
So Jon.  Are you going to put the backbone of the original frame back on?   The rectangular bottom provides a lot of the regididy (whatever) in that frame.

Aside - you look like just the guy to make a geodetic frame.
Bill Gould ?1980/03 R65 When at first you don't succeed....Moo!

Jon_P

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 09:50:49 PM »
So Jon.  Are you going to put the backbone of the original frame back on?

nope, gonna use the retanglar tubing as my OIF. the other thought was to make the tank a split compartment, one of fuel and one for oil.

lucky? yep, a great miss and great kids the rest is just icing on the cake

geodetic frame now i have to go look that up ;D