Author Topic: opps... She's done it again!  (Read 619 times)

thrang

opps... She's done it again!
« on: September 27, 2007, 09:22:44 AM »
Hey gang!
The wife had a few balance issues last night and managed to drop the zephyr on herself twice at under 3mph... She never falls off or drops bikes at speed but doses have an affection for the ground in car parks.
Any way she's managed to bend one leaver like a banana, snap the other off about an inch in from the ball, snap the LHS riders foot peg in half, and bend crack a cooling fin on the motor.

The leavers and foot peg are no hassle to fix, since getting replacements just takes a phone call, but do you think I could get away with straightening and then bodging the cracked fin with a bit of plastic metal?
Ta
Tony
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 09:24:10 AM by thrang »

Offline nhmaf

• Global Moderator
  • Free at last, Free at last!
Re:  opps... She's done it again!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 10:19:23 AM »
If it isn't a huge section of cooling fin that is gone, I'd probably just leave it as is -
there is usually an amount of "over engineering" applied to the fin heatsink
surface area so that loss of a small amount won't cause cooling problems, and,
if you do manage to get some sort of JB Weld type thing to stick to the alloy
of the fins, there will likely be  not much cooling effectiveness due to the porosity of
the interface between the dissimilar metals.   Though admittedly, there are cosmetics
to consider ;-)
Airhead #12178 ? BMWMOA #123173 ?BMWRA #33525 ?GSBMWR #563 ?1982 BMW R65LS ?1978 BMW R100/7 1998 Kawasaki Concours

thrang

Re:  opps... She's done it again!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:28:19 AM »

Looking at the damage I think I'd be better off removing the damaged section of fin and then tidying it up with a file rather than trying to straigten and 'glue' it back together.
cheers Tony