The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: WirIng And Gauges (Sizing)  (Read 1108 times)

Offline BPT

• Lives at Base of Mt. Olympus
  • I Love YaBB 2!
WirIng And Gauges (Sizing)
« on: June 06, 2020, 01:21:36 PM »
With the internet making so many things easily accessible to us, I was looking to get some decent quality wire to have on hand. At some point I'll be adding a couple of things (clock, voltmeter), but also thought I should have some for repairs and such.
I have no idea how many different gauges there are on an R65, but if you were going to get maybe two sizes (or three?), what sizes would be the most useful to have?

I was planning to order some connectors, then realized I needed some wire for something, so I thought it might be good to get some spare wire at the same time.

As always, thanks in advance.
1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

Offline wilcom

• Mt. Olympus Resident
Re: WirIng And Gauges (Sizing)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 02:54:37 PM »
BPT.................. Having NOT looked into this before, I would think a good place to start would be your local Junk Yard/Pick-a-Part.

Find yourself an old Bimmer and with your side cutters , "go to town"
Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS "Herr Head"
past:
1982 BMW R65LS
1979 R65
1980 R65
1982 R80RT
1974 R90/6
1972 R75
1964 R50/2
19xx R27
ZX-11

Offline BPT

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 07:32:56 PM »
I didn't mean that I was planning a major re-do of the wiring harness or anything like that.  I was planning to buy some decent quality wire online for a couple of things I needed to do, so thought I'd get some extra for future uses.
I was just wondering what gauges of wire would be the most versatile.

Offline Bob_Roller

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • -7 hours GMT
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 12:12:16 PM »
I've used 18 gauge wire on circuits that I've added to the bikes, these are low current circuits .
I added an additional ground wire from the voltage regulator, where a vast amount of the bikes circuits grounds, or earths are ganged together .
I ran this wire back to the negative terminal of the battery, I used a 10 gauge wire here .
I also added additional 10 gauge wire from the diode board to the starter, there is one terminal on the diode board that is unused it's a 12 volt output just like the one that is used .
I also replaced the negative cable from the battery to the transmission .
I used a premade cable from an auto parts store, I don't remember what size it was, it's about the same diameter as your little finger .
I ran this from the the forward side of the lower right engine to transmission bolt back to the battery .
'81 R65
'82 R65 LS
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

Offline BPT

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 03:47:50 PM »
Thanks BobRoller.  I was figuring that 18g would be good for gauges and things like that.  I'll definitely get some of that.
For short things, like the bigger ground cables, I have a good local place that'll put them together for me for no extra charge, just the price if materials.
Maybe I'll just stick with the one gauge and then wait until I have a specific need for something else.
Thanks.

Offline Matt Chapter

• <insert witty remark here>
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 10:28:56 AM »
I would actually suspect that most stuff you'd want to add could come with wiring harness already attached, so you might need more conversion connectors than actual lengths of wire.  E.g. the voltmeter is an option on some models, the wiring harness already has a spot to plug the stock volt meter harness, so you'd just need that.
'04 R1150 RT ~41000 miles
'86 R65 / '84 motor ~72000 miles. SS lines, Spiegler rotor, Progressive monoshock, Keihan silencers, a piece of Pichler fairing.
'76 CB400F ~26000 miles. non-runner!

Offline BPT

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 08:26:39 AM »
That's a good point Matt, and it would be nice to hook things up to their proper places, if they exist. I got an aftermarket voltmeter and clock, so those are a couple of things I'll add eventually, just haven't decided where I'll mount them yet.

I was trying to get some opinions on wiring in general - if you could only have one or two gauges, which would be the most useful?

And since you brought it up, maybe I should ask - for the voltmeter, other than ease of connecting, is the stock connection the best way, versus straight to the battery?  I like the idea of using what's there, but seems like some people here have said the best reading is straight to the battery ? (Not being argumentative, just curious).

Thanks

Offline Matt Chapter

• <insert witty remark here>
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 02:39:40 PM »
for the voltmeter, other than ease of connecting, is the stock connection the best way, versus straight to the battery?

I haven't added a volt meter to mine, but my personal preference would be to use the harness.  I suspect the value would be in the change over seasons vs having a precise reading, and I wouldn't care for separate runs of wire (hence my first comment).  But if it's aftermarket, that could be more complex, if the plugs don't match up.
'04 R1150 RT ~41000 miles
'86 R65 / '84 motor ~72000 miles. SS lines, Spiegler rotor, Progressive monoshock, Keihan silencers, a piece of Pichler fairing.
'76 CB400F ~26000 miles. non-runner!

Offline skippyc

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • Shouldn't have sold them old bikes.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 08:52:16 PM »
Volt meter connects to the ignition switch cost $2 from China. It is sealed with plastic selasticed over the top