The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: '79 R65 - Master cylinder parts  (Read 1190 times)

Offline w7lej1

• I Love YaBB 2!
'79 R65 - Master cylinder parts
« on: October 06, 2019, 11:03:46 AM »
Hi All,

After a LONG hiatus, I'm working on getting my '79 R65 back to running condition.

I started by, among other chores, changing the fluid in the front brake system. In so doing, the little thin rubber piece (don't know exactly what it's called) tore - not too surprising considering age, etc.

I looked on Beemer Boneyard and Motobins for a replacement - no joy. Anyone know of a place to get such a gadget (or have one lying around that you would be willing to part with?)

I'm sure I'll have other requests as I plod through this process. Thank for any guidance or assistance!

Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

Offline Adrian

• Lives at Base of Mt. Olympus
  • The Old Hairy Biker Sez...
Re: '79 R65 - Master cylinder parts
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 02:00:56 AM »
Hi there - could you be more specific about this rubber piece.
So where does it belong on the braking system? Can you put up a photo of it?
>
Thanks …..
1984 R65 (860)

Offline ged in oz

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 06:19:03 AM »
Hi Marty. Do you mean the bellows? For the round Master Cylinder? Single disc? There a lot of different variations.

As Adrian said, some more detail and some photos might help some of the experts here diagnose your issue more accurately.

This might be it:

BRA 38387 half way down.

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=20&Ct=HA&SbCt=BA_15_20_HA_35&spPage=2

Offline Barry

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 09:44:19 AM »
One fragile bit of rubber on a 79 model with Ate caliper is the piston dust seals. I think Motobins have them but like all the spares for the Ate they are hard to find and double the price of the later Brembo parts. You have to think carefully before throwing money at those Ate calipers as it's not much more expensive to buy complete new Brembos.
Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

Offline w7lej1

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »
Thanks, all!

ged in oz has pinned down the part for me - it's the bellows for the round master cylinder reservoir as he noted. Now i'll see if that UK company will deal with a small order to the US.

As to replacing the ATE part with the Brembo part - good tip, but my work right now is only to get the machine in running order to get it in temporary storage in a friend's barn while I deal with other more pressing "life matters".

THanks again to all - you all are Jedi Masters!

Marty