The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Torque wrench  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Soeren

Torque wrench
« on: September 29, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
I have been wanting a torque wrench for some time now, and now I need it enough to where I can justify spending the money.

I'm going with a 10-50nm to accommodate most common tasks.

I like german tools and most of my stuff is Wera, Stahlwille and Knipex with some PB Swiss mixed in, so I have primarely been looking at the Stahlwille Manoskop 730N and Wera Click-Torque X 2, both for insert tools.

But I cant find any good reviews of either, or a side by side comparison for that matter. Does anyone on here have experience with Stahlwille or Wera torque wrenches?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:06:55 PM by Soeren »
'83 BMW R65

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
Re: Torque wrench
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 04:44:47 PM »
Quite possibly because nobody can afford a Stahiwille torque wrench.

Seriously, both are well credentialed, well known and indeed well envied tool makers. How could you go wrong.

I have a preference from Stahlwille screwdrivers and spanners, 40 years after that preference was established I am still slowly adding to my collection, bit by bit. I have 5mm to 27mm ring/open ended spanners and 6 assorted phillips and blade screwdrivers......

We have had this discussion before in this group regarding torque wrenches, i have a preference for Warren & Brown "deflecting beam" type torque wrenches. Whilst I know they are a very good tool my main reason for owning them is that there is a local recalibration service available, which is important when you buy tools you intend to own for a lifetime.

Please note, I am not saying that deflecting beam type torque wrenches are in any way better than any other design, they are simply what I grew up with.
1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |

Offline Soeren

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 09:32:45 AM »
Thanks Tony. I decided on a Stahlwille as I can get it at a discount.

Im now looking at inserts, and just to make sure, I need a 12 point 10mm spanner insert for the driveshaft bolts right?

Like this: https://www.contorion.de/handwerkzeug/stahlwille-732-10-ring-einsteckwerkzeuge-10-mm-fuer-werkzeugaufnahme-9x12-mm-63012570
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 09:33:03 AM by Soeren »
'83 BMW R65

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »
I would have thought something more like this - I don't understand how the torque wrench would connect to the one you linked to.

Offline Burt

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 07:06:54 PM »
Tony,

I was bought up calling those a dual signal torque wrench.  We used to have them regularly calibrated and later in life we had to test them every time before use. 

I am a foot or inches per pound and psi man myself.  Not used to this metric guff.

Cheers, Dave. 
Black 1984 R65 - the Wombat

Offline Bob_Roller

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • -7 hours GMT
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 07:18:37 PM »
Being in calibration is my only concern with torque wrenches, I've seen some way off .
I work in aviation and we are only using the click type wrenches, in 42 years, I have never seen a bending beam type wrench in use .
'81 R65
'82 R65 LS
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

Offline BPT

• Lives at Base of Mt. Olympus
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 02:58:20 PM »
Tony - I think the Stahlwille wrench he is talking about is "female" and the inserts you have to buy go into the end of the wrench.  That means they are Stahlwille specific, or at least specific to that type of wrench.  I've seen at least one other brand of this style but not sure if the inserts are standardized and interchangeable.

Speaking of torque wrenches, what would be the ranges of torque needed for the most common things on our bikes?  I saw this come up on the Facebook Airhead group and I think there were three different ranges mentioned if you wanted to have everything covered.
1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 03:16:42 PM »
The range of torque figures required on an airhead is in my opinion far too great to be covered by one single wrench. For example  cylinder head fasteners at around 30ft/lb through to gearbox output flange nut or final drive input at over 200ft/lb.

Actually, I'll rephrase that, a single wrench is unlikely to cover the range with any accuracy.

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »
Being in calibration is my only concern with torque wrenches, I've seen some way off .
I work in aviation and we are only using the click type wrenches, in 42 years, I have never seen a bending beam type wrench in use .

http://wbtools.com.au/products/deflecting-beams/deflecting-beam-torque-wrenches/

Bob, the abiding features of the Warren & Brown device are accuracy and durability. Whilst I do have mine checked every few years (its a free service), only one that I bought from eBay (my 3/8" device) has ever required adjustment. W&B claim 2% accuracy across the range of any of their wrenches.

The one time I saw a large aviation maintenance base in operation (QANTAS engine centre) I did note that they did not use adjustable torque wrenches and instead had colour-coded fixed value torque wrenches.

Offline BPT

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »
I should have phrased my question more clearly.   I know that one wrench won't cover everything so I was wondering what ranges would cover the most common things that will come up.  It seems like someone in the FB thread mentioned 3 wrenches covering the majority..

I have one that goes to 75 ft/lbs.  I can't afford to get one for every single application but was thinking about getting another one to add to what I have.

Offline Soeren

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 04:39:58 PM »
Tony - I think the Stahlwille wrench he is talking about is "female" and the inserts you have to buy go into the end of the wrench.  That means they are Stahlwille specific, or at least specific to that type of wrench.  I've seen at least one other brand of this style but not sure if the inserts are standardized and interchangeable.

Speaking of torque wrenches, what would be the ranges of torque needed for the most common things on our bikes?  I saw this come up on the Facebook Airhead group and I think there were three different ranges mentioned if you wanted to have everything covered.

Bingo, and they are standardized between brands, they are 9x12mm, 14x18mm and 22x28mm.

One of ther reaseons I went down this road was to be able to make custom inserts.

And I agree, more that one would be ideal, but I feel 10-50isch covers the most common stuff.
'83 BMW R65

Offline BPT

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 04:59:06 PM »
Thank you Soeren.  I was thinking of it as "If you could only have 2, which would you choose?".  As I get into doing more maintanence I thought I'd need a larger range than what I have.

Stahlwille is out of my price range but I had looked at Wera.  I'd also seen that some of the Weras appeared to be made by Norbar, and Norbar seems to get good reviews along with having some reasonably priced versions.