The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: New gas cap - beautiful  (Read 991 times)

Offline adam_jepsen

• I Love YaBB 2!
New gas cap - beautiful
« on: January 21, 2020, 01:03:49 PM »
Hi everybody,

I haven't been active on the forum in a while but I have been continuing to enjoy my 1981 R65. I recently pulled the trigger on a new gas cap. It is aluminum and it came from Italy. The original gas cap didnt work right and I'm sure a lot of you know why and how to fix it. That being said I am very happy with my new cap and I think it looks fantastic! Thanks for looking.

Offline ShutterPilot

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: New gas cap - beautiful
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 08:31:25 AM »
Nice and clean looking. Can you share details of what it is and where you got it?

Offline adam_jepsen

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »
I found it on Etsy... it was called IMOLA 2-R black gasoline refill cap for BMW. They say it is made of milled aluminum and they do a really impressive job with it. The base screws into the normal gas cap threads and the cap is threaded onto the base. The only thing I'm not 100% thrilled about is how many turns it take to thread the cap on and off of the base... I have no machining knowledge so maybe this is necessary. It was a little confusing to order because they have it posted for euro customers which doesn't ship to US, but they also had one for US customers where shipping was included in the purchase price. It showed up on my door much faster than anticipated and I am really happy with it. The seller was EXCUSTOM.

Offline drhooves

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 12:25:37 PM »
That does look vert slick.  Not many available though, and it looks like the only one on Etsy now is $135.  Either a former owner or vandal wonkeyed up my gas cap on the '86 R 65 I bought last fall, so the key doesn't fit.  But I can get it on and off no problem, but it looks like it's been jimmied with a screwdriver.

Which begs the question - with exposed fuel lines and petcocks just below the fuel tank, why in the world have a locking gas cap? :-?

Offline Matt Chapter

• Lives at Base of Mt. Olympus
  • <insert witty remark here>
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »
why in the world have a locking gas cap?

The only uses I can think of is to prevent theft of the cap itself, or to prevent passers by from putting stuff into the tank.

Do most people lock their gas caps?  I do out of habit now, and because I could when I first got my R65.
'04 R1150 RT ~41000 miles
'86 R65 / '84 motor ~72000 miles. SS lines, Spiegler rotor, Progressive monoshock, Keihan silencers, a piece of Pichler fairing.
'76 CB400F ~26000 miles. non-runner!

Offline skippyc

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • Shouldn't have sold them old bikes.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 09:19:43 PM »
The locking mechanism on mine is a bit dicky it slips when forced to much so i am careful how hard i tighten it and don't lock it.