The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: REAR WHEEL GREASE BARRIER. CLEANING TIP.  (Read 643 times)

AH1510

REAR WHEEL GREASE BARRIER. CLEANING TIP.
« on: September 22, 2009, 05:36:16 PM »
O.K.
          After removing and cleaning the rear cast wheel on my oil leaking 1979 R65 ( rear main seal failed ). I found my right hand greasy from the bearing hub.
Trying to clean out the area of the cast wheel near the hub. Here is the cure. Get a 8 oz. (227 gram) plastic cream cheese or butter container ( make sure it is empty so you don't catch hell from the boss ). Place over the rear bearing hub. PERFECT FIT!! Now you can scrub away with your simple green and not watse any bearing grease on your hands.I have the wheel off on the work table. Another Airhead
tip. Our Motto, Simple by Choise. OLDPAUL

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:29:56 PM by Rob_Valdez_79_R65 »

AH1510

Re: REAR WHELL GREASE BARRIER. CLEANING TIP.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »
O.K.,
         Yeah that's WHEEL not WHELL. My spell check is on vacation. I just finished cleaning the rear wheel. All it cost me was 75 cents worth of Simple Green, a #2 pencil ( still will write after I shappen it) ,and a old T-Shirt that was to small and cut up for rags.

The hard to reach parts were the web joints around the hub. For this part I laid the wheel on the work table, wrapped the pencil in a rag, then held it at the bottom of the web joint. Then I just sprayed some simple green on the metal with the rag catching the excess and wiped upward. All the crud came out. I walked away with a nice clean wheel and my hands smell like apples. I used the " Apple Scent" var.

I also cleaned up the rust film on the brake lining with a light rub of Naval Jelly ( Yes I wore the gloves mother ). I will regrease the hub when I put the wheel back on the bike. I also checked for any cracks on the wheel. Found none. Happy, Happy, Happy. OLDPAUL

not-so-fast-ed

Re: REAR WHELL GREASE BARRIER. CLEANING TIP.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 08:39:42 PM »
Good tip, "Old" Paul.  I use the standard Simple Green for most of my cleanup jobs.  Sometimes diluted down to 4 water / 1 simple Green for more delicate areas, like my car's engine compartment.  (the 'show' car, not my daily driver)

(Somewhat - 0ld)   ;)  Ed

Offline Rob Valdez 79 R65

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: REAR WHEEL GREASE BARRIER. CLEANING TIP.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:31:35 PM »
OLDPAUL,

You can edit your Subject Line in your original post any time you want.

Just click on the "Modify" button.

I made the change for you.  I am a moderator! ;)