Well, I didn't make it. Here is my story:
Once upon a time there was a guy that rode off on his motorcycle knowing it would not make the trip. Ah well. The replacement parts arrived 1.5 hours after departure...
After working until 2 AM the night before, I departed at 10:30 on Friday morning. For a 9.5 hour trip that didn't seem unreasonable.
Then the plastic ring that had been giving me trouble in my left carb came loose after 300 miles, just before my 2nd gas stop. So I stopped an fueled up, then pulled the bike over and put the ring back in place.
It didn't even last 20 miles. It was 5:30 PM, and I was getting hot and a little tired. I was just north of Charlotte, WV. I still had a long way to go, and I had lost the confidence that I could 'fix' it every 100 miles or so, at least until I got to my destination.
So I got a motel room in a town that had a walmart, and I ended up with some denatured alcohol (thank you, Jean), some nitrile gloves, and some kind of clay adhesive stuff that your knead and activate, and use like JB Weld, kind of.
I decided not to push my luck and go any further away from home, and headed west toward Lexington the next noon (I'm a night owl). I thought it was going to be a nightmare of vibration for sure, what with the two slides so incredibly out of balance, but I guess that is what CV carbs are all about.
The bike ran strong all the way home. I saw 80 a couple of times on the Interstate on the way home Saturday.
I got tired of the interstate about an hour out of Lexington, and turned north. I told the GPS to point me toward home, and I just followed these not quite two-lane roads for quite a while, keeping the arrow pointing toward the NW somewhere.
It was a good day.
Here are the pictures from the carb fix:
http://www.pbase.com/tomfarr/attemped_fix