The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Electronic ignition - Chris79R65 10/26/06  (Read 577 times)

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
Electronic ignition - Chris79R65 10/26/06
« on: November 19, 2006, 07:57:20 PM »
chris79R65 Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Electronic ignition

I am curious if anyone has upgraded to electronic ignition and if they could explain which parts I would need to do the upgrade from the points I am currently running. How has it worked for you?

Thanks in advance,
Chris 79R65

Semper Gumby Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Yesh The Electronic Ignition.

Hi Chris,

The Omega ignition is the system for any airhead. It bolts on the front of the Alternator thereby bypassing the the camchain and tensioner setup driving the camshaft. It produces a much more stable signal than the spring loaded throw weights in the back of the bean can.

What I really like is that the original system stays in place. It is just electrically disconected. So if the electronic system quits, you move a couple of wires a WALA you're back in business. You keep your stock coils and wires.

I bought mine from:

http://www.stephenbottcher.net/~omega/

Dyna doesn't work for the points in a can. I have 'heard' that the Boyer is junk.
This works and works well.

RobValdez1979R65 Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I know Stephen personally, and while he doesn't have anything to do with the design of the unit (that I know of), he is the NA distributor and he will treat you with honesty and integrety.

http://www.stephenbottcher.net/photos/springrally2006.htm

airhead Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject:

I am positively getting electronic ignition for my project 90/6,and am toying between the Omega (don't know much about) and the Boyer Brandsen (no simple reversion to stock, dubious wiring, fragile looking). Anyone else have any experience?
Bill...................;)

stork Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject:

Airhead
Can't comment on the Omega but I have never seen a Boyer that didn't give grief.

Semper Gumby Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Omega

The omega is a simple system. It is a combined elctronic trigger, computer generated spark advance, and ignition booster. It is made by a German company. Stephan B. is the only N.American Distributer. I don't know about down under.

As long as you still have the stock alternator housing you are in business. Setting the timing is done static. Crank the bike and check with a timing light.

It is truly simple.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 07:57:37 PM by admin »
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!