The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Replacement mufflers for R65 - Khill 10/28/06  (Read 710 times)

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
Replacement mufflers for R65 - Khill 10/28/06
« on: November 18, 2006, 10:21:42 PM »
khill Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Replacement mufflers for R65

The mufflers on my recent R65 purchase are getting slightly ratty and I will
be wanting to replace them soon. I looked at the EMGO mufflers and they are
very affordable but I'm not sure they will fit the R65. I think these are the type
that JC Whitney carries but I'm not sure. Does anybody know of a good replacement
muffler that will fit the R65's? I could buy the BMW originals if they are available
but I'm told that they are very expensive.

Thanks

Kirk

justinbowser Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

Go to boxerworks.com as there are several muffler threads going on over there... We have MAC Whispertones on one of ours.

RustyGT Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:

A couple of aussie companies may have what you want.
Being hand made stainless, neither of them will be cheap.

Nonetheless.
Overlander . http://www.dropbears.com/o/overlander/bmw.htm
Staintune. http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts/bmw/index3.htm

My 65 has Overlander pipes, the 80 has Staintunes. Smile R.

khill Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject:

They all sound pretty good. I sounds like the MAC whispertones are priced very
reasonable but I think I saw a thread on one forum that someone felt they were to
restrictive. Which bike do you have yours on Justin? I would be installing them
on my R65.

Thanks

Kirk

khill Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:

I just noticed that A&S BMW parts out in California has the original R65 mufflers
for $310 each. Since only one is bad on the bottom I could buy one at a time and
they would match. I'm not sure if the back pressure would be the same as the bike
has slightly over 26K on it.

Kirk

justinbowser Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject:

I have the Whispertones on an R100 and an R65. Don't know what they mean by restrictive but they are a bit louder than stock...

khill Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Do you remember where you purchased the MAC's? I saw several prices listed
at many different places. Also did they fit ok without a lot of manipulating? They
look pretty good but I do not want a real loud exhaust.

Thanks,

Kirk Hill

justinbowser Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject:

I bought both of my sets used, on e-Bay. If you don't want any louder than stock, then you probably should pass on these as they are a bit louder...

The only fit complaint I have is a rather loose fit (in my opinion) over the headpipe. I was able to snug it up a bit by using a tailpipe expander on the last couple of inches of the headpipe.

khill Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject:

Justin I saw them for sale new on a ebay store but they were priced a little higher
than another internet store that I found. I think they were listed for $216 for the
pair. I think MAC also makes the head pipes as well. If they do then they should
fit pretty close. My header pipe is also looking a little ratty so if I go with the MAC's
I might get the header pipe and try out the complete assembly. I guess that makes
the original equipment at least three times as high as the MAC's. I saw the stock
BMW muffler on the A&S website at $310 for each muffler. I'll call them today to
verify that price. It's to bad the JCW mufflers won't fit the R65. They look like the
real thing.

Kirk
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!