The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: R65 grab handle  (Read 461 times)

Offline PhilipW

R65 grab handle
« on: February 05, 2022, 06:40:22 AM »
Recently purchased this R65 ( see general chat) and it has an interesting addition . The handle looks almost "factory " Standoffs properly welded , paint well matched and proper shouldered bolts . Never seen one before . Can someone confirm if the bracing plates are already in tail section or have they been added . It all looks a very nice job - hope the pictures work ,

Phil

Offline Barry

• Mt. Olympus Resident
Re: R65 grab handle
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 03:16:53 PM »
That's an early model same as my 79. I've just been out to the garage to check and there are no plates or any indication what so ever of provision for fixings.  Someone did a neat job.

It might be the photos but is the bike silver metallic, if so it's been re-sprayed as that wasn't a factory option at the time.  That would explain the good paint match on the grab rail.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 03:19:55 PM by Barry »
Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

Offline PhilipW

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 05:36:44 PM »
It is March 1980 and is silver beige metallic . I am sure of this as I have just had some paint mixed by RSPaints to respray the mudguard damaged by the delivery guy . Great service by RSPaints by the way .
Interesting to confirm the reinforcing plates are not original - looks like they have been spot welded in place . Bike does not look like it has had a full respray but you never know . Would be interesting to know if the original owner had the work done because he/she also specified a kick starter which was an expensive option - not actually seen one in the flesh before ( on a later model bike )

Phil

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 10:35:58 AM »
PhilipW, would you be so kind to take some detailed pictures of the reinforcement with measurements ?
Since ages, my wife asks for a grab handle she can reach on the R65...
So your rear cowl modifications could be of a great use to me !
Many many thanks in advance !

Offline PhilipW

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 04:49:49 PM »
PhilipW, would you be so kind to take some detailed pictures of the reinforcement with measurements ?
Since ages, my wife asks for a grab handle she can reach on the R65...
So your rear cowl modifications could be of a great use to me !
Many many thanks in advance !

I don't think I can get a better picture than the one posted but I will do my best . I will also take some measurements .

Phil

Offline PhilipW

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 05:52:52 AM »
Not sure if the pictures help but to be honest the only important measurement is the space between the grab handle and seat cowl which you need to adjust for your requirements ( large gloved hand vs small bare hand )

Measurements are as follows :
Size of reinforcing plate = 11cm x 2.5 cm x 0.05 cm thick
Overall length of handle = 59cm
1st mounting hole 3cm from end
Mounting holes 5.5cm apart
Standoffs 1.3cm diameter
Handle 1.6cm diameter

Hope this helpd,

Phil

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!