Author Topic: R65 sidecars  (Read 357 times)

Offline tunnelrider

R65 sidecars
« on: July 17, 2020, 05:35:07 AM »
Hi everyone, in the past year I've been fortunate enough to have had a wee 'un come into the world and naturally want to share my love of the motorcycle world with my small family eventually. I'm wondering if it's a practical idea to fit a sidecar to my R65. I've really enjoyed riding it as a two wheeler, but thinking of future uses for it.

Ideally with a Siebenrock 860 upgrade kit, is it practical to fit a sidecar to the R65? Anyone know of compatible sidecar kits without too much chopping and changing?

What is the general consensus of the Siebenrock 860 upgrade?

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.
'85 Black R65 / '74 GT185 / '83 Pantah 500 / '90 Super Tenere 750  / '01 DRZ400 dirt only

Offline BPT

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: R65 sidecars
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 03:41:41 PM »
I'm one of the few on here that has one. Marcmax used to have a nearly identical setup to mine but he went back to solo with his.  I bought mine already together so I can't offer much on doing it from scratch. I'd be happy to try and answer any questions.  Mine is a Velorex 562.  I think these are a good match for the R65 since they are lighter weight than a lot of sidecars (they are fibreglass or fibreglass & plastic, depending on year and model). They're not for everyone, and an entirely different kind of riding, but I love mine.
As for chopping and changing, it's more about fabricating and adding. You don't necessarily have to screw up the bike to make it work, but you'll have to add some things and fabricate some pieces to mount everything together.
1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

Offline marcmax

• Any day on two wheels is a good day
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 04:33:47 PM »
Like BPT said I had a sidecar on my R65 for a while. I loved it and hated it all at the same time. First off you no longer ride your R65, you drive the entire rig. It is a totally different way of controlling it. But the upside is having the sidecar here. Camping trips? No need to decide what to pack and what to leave. Just pile it all in and take everything. Grocery shopping? I used to love when the young person bagging my groceries asked if I wanted help taking them out. When I pointed out the sidecar they just started laughing.

It is pretty straight forward connecting the sidecar frame to the bike frame. The trick is in getting the angles set right to allow everything to track right. Even then you will find surprises. If you happen to find a road with a pronounced crown in the center you will end up leaning toward the road center while the rig leans toward the road shoulder. An interesting feeling especially at speed.

I enjoyed it while I had it and sold it along to a couple with a young son so he could travel with them.
Keep your bike in good repair: motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.

1982 R65ls    1984 R65ls

Offline mrclubike

• Jungheinrich Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 10:32:36 PM »
I cant speak for the side car
But I did have the 860 kit
I didnt care for the harsher vibration so I removed it
Others that have had the big bore kit didnt notice  any higher vibration 
I did install the next higher final drive ratio and love that
1982 R65 running tubeless Snowflakes
2004 R1150R

Offline tunnelrider

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 03:40:39 PM »
Thanks for you replies guys.  I presume the Velorex has a steel chassis under the fiberglass? I did a little research on child restraints in sidecars and how a child seat could be fitted, boy it's a prickly topic, not that I was researching for opinions but that was mostly what I found, with most riders against the idea of infants in sidecars.  One guy said he took his 6 week old niece for a sidecar ride (out of 'necessity'!.)

It's not something I'll consider doing for my wee daughter currently as the roads around here are too bumpy for a wee un's neck, apparently after 4yo necks get a bit stronger. It seems that to get a light enough helmet it won't be a proper DOT approved helmet, more like a cycle helmet made to look ok, so obviously there are risks and lots of people will have their private (or not so private) opinions on how-bad-a-parent-you-are, which I'm just stating, not trying to start something here.

Mrclubike, thanks for the info on the 860 upgrade, taking the final drive ratio up is something I'd try and do with the 860 kit also since reading Tony's intention about it years ago, did you find a second hand taller final drive?  I've asked a guy in NZ who deals with airhead parts and builds up airheads out of parts and he hasn't got any to sell, are they very easy to get hold of?  Have you left the taller FD on without the 860 kit?

A taller final drive ratio and 860 kit would benefit two wheels, would a sidecar + 860 kit be better with the stock R65 (10:32?) FD?

'85 Black R65 / '74 GT185 / '83 Pantah 500 / '90 Super Tenere 750  / '01 DRZ400 dirt only

Offline BPT

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 08:16:43 AM »
The Velorex tub sits on top of a steel chassis, connects with 4 bolts, I believe?  I've seen the arguments about child seats, similar to the seat belt questions, people get angry. 
I'm not sure if they changed it for the later models but a lot of people complained about the early Velorex frames being weak and prone to cracking in spots.  There are some things online about strengthening these by welding some gussets in those areas.
My R65 is completely stock, I've also wondered about the 860 kit and if it would be worth it for a sidecar bike.  I know a lot of people change the final drive and it works better for a sidecar bike, especially from a stop.  I cant decide if doing that would be worth less at the top end.

Offline Luca

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 10:30:39 AM »
you can swap in the long/tall (less reduction) 5th gear in the transmission to help make up for more reduction in the final drive.  A shorter (more reduction) 1st gear is also available for the gearbox.

If you do make gearbox modifications, it might also be worthwhile to consider the older, heavier flywheel if possible to ease first gear starts
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:31:57 AM by Luca »

Offline BPT

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 11:20:12 AM »
Thanks Luca. My brain starts to hurt when I try to figure things like that out and try to keep track of what each change does and then what might need to be done for that, etc, etc.

But I'd also have to consider the fact that I could swap a final drive and probably do the cylinder upgrade myself, but I'd  probably  have to have transmission work done by someone who knows what  they're  doing.

Offline mrclubike

• Jungheinrich Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 09:12:25 PM »
I cant speak for the side car
But I did have the 860 kit
I didnt care for the harsher vibration so I removed it
Others that have had the big bore kit didnt notice  any higher vibration 
I did install the next higher final drive ratio and love that

Just to clarify
I installed a 37/11 final drive (taller)
Meaning I am now  going faster than the speedo reads
I also left it on the bike after removing the 860 kit

I think with a side car you should stay with the (shorter) stock final drive if you would install a 860 kit
1982 R65 running tubeless Snowflakes
2004 R1150R

Offline tunnelrider

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 02:43:57 AM »
I think with a side car you should stay with the (shorter) stock final drive if you would install a 860 kit
Yeah I agree that would probably get the best result from the extra torque of an 860 kit helping the added drag of a sidecar through the zippy stock final drive.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 02:45:31 AM by tunnelrider »

Offline dogshome

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 03:23:22 PM »
I imagine a 650 and chair is not going to be much fun. More clutch riding and swapping of cogs to maintain progress up inclines.

I compare my 650 to a 250 2 stroke in terms of performance, which is why the 860 kit went on a couple days ago. 400 type performance is fine for me.

I think with a passenger, third wheel and a few extra KGs, the 800 or 1000 is probably necessary. More torque, easier hill starts and general thumpiness. I've not been out on the 860 yet and will report back in my thread. Not expecting night and day 'thumper' but hopefully less gear changing and more dynamic when overtaking lorries!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:23:42 PM by dogshome »
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O