The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Considering Buying a Project  (Read 1878 times)

Offline JAMADOR

Re: Considering Buying a Project
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2022, 11:04:41 AM »
Resurrecting this thread.
The idea got shelved, as I'd picked up a replica Lotus 7 project.
Now, the Lotus is likely on its way to a new owner, pending funds & transport. We're moving into a new house next week that has no garage, but does have a small workshop, so a smaller project is more feasible.

Reconsidering this R65, which I believe is still available & would take the project place of the Lotus.
Still have the Indian, parked at my father-in-law's (his 2nd bike) so would still have a functional ride for the 2-wheel itch.

Know someone that owns a hotshot company, need to see if I can snag a backhaul, if he has someone going Orlando>Houston, which would just leave me the acquisition price on the bike.

Assuming it's a full restoration, how is parts availability these days for these bikes, and are things like the Nikasil cylinders compatible with a non-Nikasil block?

Offline dogshome

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2022, 12:36:00 PM »
Can I ask why the bike has remained un-sold?
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline JAMADOR

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2022, 12:40:08 PM »
It's not really advertised. Just sitting in his garage.
More like a barn find, than an active sale.

We've occasionally kept in touch & are both active on another forum.
I think it was something like 2 years from his first offer of the K75S to him actually selling it, as he wasn't actively looking to sell it.
I haven't actually reached out to him yet to inquire if it's still available. So, it could be a non-starter if he's since sold it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 07:22:00 PM by JAMADOR »

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022, 11:22:28 PM »
Iron bore cylinders will fit the later engine, I did that myself when I first put my 1984 model back together.

As at earlier this year R65 piston rings for iron horse are NLA, however this isn't a problem as R65 bores are nominally the same size as R75 bores. I say nominally because the O/S increments are different. That is to say STD are the same, but 1st O/S R75 is bigger than 1st O/S R65. This is of no real moment as careful work with a file will set your end caps correctly.

1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |

Offline JAMADOR

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2022, 01:03:32 PM »
I was thinking the opposite, in the even the original cylinders are no-go, can later cylinders/pistons be used on the older block?

Offline georgesgiralt

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2022, 03:24:08 AM »
Hello,
BMW only supply (if I'm not mistaken) Nikasyl bores so they have to fit earlier bikes which were fitted with iron bore ones.
AFAIK, the cylinder dimensions (external) are identical for all R65 and the internal bore diameter also are identical between iron and Nikasil covered aluminum bore.
The only thing you must check is that the rings have to match the finish of the bore. Do NOT use iron matched rings on a Nikasil bore and vice versa.
If I had to renew jugs and/or pistons, I'll buy Nikasil covered jugs and fitting pistons because they last forever.
Just my 2¢

Offline JAMADOR

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2022, 07:03:30 AM »
Thanks, good to know they're compatible.
Still waiting on my Lotus to sell, buyer is working out transport from Houston to Minnesota. Hoping it sells before we move next week, so I don't have to figure out a storage solution for it in the interim.

Offline DanZ3

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 06:40:43 AM »
I bought a project as my first airhead.  84 R65.  I found it a satisfying experience to be honest.  Plan on many unforeseen issues as you start into it.  Rusty tank fro be sure.  Knowing what I know now I wouldn't spend any more than $500-$1000 on a project.  I have >$2000 in parts and materials alone into mine. 

Offline JAMADOR

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2022, 08:16:27 AM »
My hope, is that I can get it for a good deal.
Transport might cost more than acquisition  :Oscar:

Offline dogshome

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2022, 09:41:33 AM »
What with a couple of wheel bearings, brake seals, gaskets, gearbox seals, brake shoes, oils and other rubber parts, crossover pipe: I'm probably £1,000 in. Mine was an untouched runner in very good condition. Epoxy ready for the tank this winter, another £30. Lead replacement another cost but trivial and possibly not required.

IF you tinker, then costs multiply! Taking the barrels off found the dodgy cross pipe. Bought stainless replacement. Bought SH stainless pipes to go with it. 860 kit, SH 33:11 Final drive, altered seat for comfort. LED bulbs. Hektik ignition. DIY FET regulator. Oh dear.

If this one is ropey, then prepare to spend and don't tinker, or tinker and simply spend some more  :deal2:

肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline JAMADOR

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2022, 09:50:32 AM »
It's a full teardown if I get the one I've been thinking of. Sitting for years, possibly needs some engine parts replaced.

Got the Lotus sold & shipped, closed on the new house & got the last load moved last night.

Just need to get settled & mostly unpacked, then can start giving this some serious thought.
Will likely come down to what the total cost (purchase+transport) comes out to be, considering it's going to need some $$ put into it.

Upside, it's a 'real' vehicle, unlike the Lotus which was a scratch-built replica. No custom fab work & self-design needed.

Offline Tony Smith

• Mt. Olympus Resident
  • Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2022, 06:30:23 PM »
If you are going to buy new cylinders, spend the extra and buy the Siebenrock 860cc kit, you will be so glad you did.

My earlier comments on the project notwithstanding you will find an airhead a worthy project. One thing you should do is price up all the parts you think you will need and put that number in a sealed envelope.

When you finish the project open the envelope.

If your actual spend works out at less than double your estimate you have done very well.
1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |

Offline JAMADOR

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2022, 07:00:24 PM »
Looks like roughly $1k usd? Prices are in euro.
More power/torque out of the same pkg seems like a win. Considering this particular 65 has a likely stuck .otor on non-Nikasil jugs, this seems a good buy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 01:18:42 PM by JAMADOR »