The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Upgrade kit run in  (Read 38 times)

Offline tunnelrider

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
Upgrade kit run in
« on: September 22, 2022, 04:08:39 AM »
Hi everyone,
Long time no see! Hope everyone's doing OK?... I've got a decent ride coming up and could fit the 860 upgrade kit for it if I got my A into G in the next week. It'll be a ride of 2000km. Just wondering what people's opinions are of running in the upgrade kit on a trip that long if I got the first 200km done around town varying the revs? Keeping in mind once on the trip that it will be at open road speed, so will be long stretches at 4500-5000rpm.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 04:41:51 AM by tunnelrider »
'85 Black R65 / '74 GT185 / '83 Pantah 500 / '90 Super Tenere 750  / '01 DRZ400 dirt only

Offline dogshome

• Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
Re: Upgrade kit run in
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 04:48:55 PM »
Doesn't sound ideal but not bad. You will need to change oil and check tappets during that period. Mine took about that long to fully bed in But I experienced no hot running or hesitation. It needed a few hours at those revs and a bit more to develop final power.

Technically running long periods at constant rpm is bad and varying loads and heat cycles is better. Where are you going? If lugging up the Alps then maybe have a rethink! If the speed and load is down to you on the flat, then that is better. You are then in control.

Staying in town won't bed it in and getting on the open road at moderate, varying loads and revs is best. The low standard gearing makes that and avoiding lugging as an 860 easy.

I'd doubt you can go too far wrong here, but a long thrash up a mountain on a hot day at a constant heavy load would be the way to make it wrong.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 04:55:38 PM by dogshome »
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O