The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Tank vent/overfvlow vent tube?  (Read 139 times)

Offline ShutterPilot

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 86
  • I Love YaBB 2!
Tank vent/overfvlow vent tube?
« on: October 31, 2022, 10:44:44 AM »

I've searched and the combination of "vent" and "tube" pulls up discussions of everything from fork tubes to crankcase vents, but not this question specifically.
On the nipple under the fuel tank of my 1981 R65, there is a short elbow of what used to be rubber meant to connect the overflow tube to the tank nipple.
It fits both OVER the vent tube, and OVER the tank nipple, so its original ID was the other's OD.
Itss become quite hardened and will no longer fit-up to the tank nipple.
I've also been unable to ID this little part from fisches at Max, Bobs and lookups at Boxer2valve.
Has anyone found a replacement for this part?
Or, have you replaced the vent/overflow tube with a larger ID and just ran it straight to the tank nipple?
Or, something else?

Offline georgesgiralt

  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • ****
  • Posts: 1271
  • I Love YaBB 2!
Re: Tank vent/overfvlow vent tube?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 10:49:08 AM »
I can't exactly figure out what you mean. So may I answer with a question to your query ?
Could you please post a picture of the tank where the parts are ?
Have a nice day !

Offline Bob_Roller

  • Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • *****
  • Posts: 8934
  • ? GMT -7 Hours
Re: Tank vent/overfvlow vent tube?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 02:34:13 PM »
I use fuel hose directly on the metal nipple on the fuel tank, no need for anything else .
'81 R65
'82 R65 LS ?
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

Offline dogshome

  • Lives in Foothills of Mt. Olympus
  • **
  • Posts: 126
Re: Tank vent/overfvlow vent tube?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 05:58:08 AM »
I'm also interested in a photo as mine doesn't have a tube attached to it! is it supposed to make overfill go under the bike or something?
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline Barry

  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • ****
  • Posts: 5017
Re: Tank vent/overfvlow vent tube?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 04:10:35 AM »
It's to prevent an accidental overflow falling onto a hot engine. On Mine there is a long rubber tube (no elbow) that runs back under the tank and down by the swinging arm.  It's just a rubber tube so any length of tube that fits would do the job.

I can see why someone might have fitted an elbow as it would help keep the tube under the tank from dropping down and becoming visible.
Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45