The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: LS handlebar swap - high to low  (Read 123 times)

Online Exintern

LS handlebar swap - high to low
« on: November 09, 2021, 04:44:40 PM »
I'm a new owner of an '83LS. Prev. owner had changed to the high bars. I'm looking to swap back to the low bars.

Besides needing shorter cables, does the brake hose need to be changed as well? Thanks.

Offline Burt

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: LS handlebar swap - high to low
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 04:27:15 AM »
I assume the LS has twin discs and are different to the single disc.  From experience with other BMWs you may have to change depending on where the brake lines are routed. 

If you have a look on realoem.com you can cross check against what is in stock at Motobins or Motorworks both of which are in the UK.  I am not familiar with the US dealers websites.  Alternatively a local brake workshop may be able to make up a custom one for you. 

Go for stainless steels braided lines if you can.
Black 1984 R65 - the Wombat

Offline jamo

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 09:55:42 AM »
Don't do it. Unless you are doing it for the classic look.
If you ride it for any length of time your wrists and thumbs will complain. Your back might shout as well.
I replaced mine with I think R100 bars.
I did not have to change any hoses or cables. From the LS bars . I would not go back it was torture.

Offline dogshome

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 01:49:42 PM »
(trying to keep quiet but failing)

The LS has plenty of room for higher bars. The RS not so much. RT? Cowhorns!

I agree completely with jamo, if you are going to ride and not sit outside the pub / cafe / club all day, then don't go with low bars. As for shouting, if you go very low then your neck will shout too  ;D
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline jamo

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 05:00:42 AM »
Checked my records the bars I recommend are R 100 RS. I got mine from motorworks.
If you have high bars you will need to shorten hoses you might be able to loose the clutch cable and the switch gear cabling.

Online Exintern

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 04:53:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  Update: New cables and upper brake hose needed. Since the brake lines are original I opted to get the full Spiegler kit (in lime green - kidding, black of course).

Agree that my wrists and back will complain at some point. I'm a sucker for the classic look though. The short bars visually pull the whole front end together IMHO. Who doesn't look back at their bike after parking it?