The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Frame strut (brace) Rubber Cow  (Read 400 times)

Offline dogshome

Re: Frame strut (brace) Rubber Cow
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2021, 06:13:07 AM »
My theory is to do with body type and use:

Mr Rossi = Racing snake.
Me = Jungle gorilla.

Mr Rossi = Sunshine, glamour, flat surfaces, fine dining & balanced diet. Riding Skillz.
Me = Overcast, cold and wet, Notts and Sherwood council pothole 'repairs', chippy dinner on a Friday. Managing to keep between kerb and centreline.

No I can't feel anything different on a normal run out to my mums on a sunny day, but something is going on as the vibes have reduced. Not the high speed tingle in the boots, but the buzz in the bars and the rattly bit of fairing at low revs and under load.

You are right - I will probably not notice anything. Maybe unless I hit that cold, wet, greasy pothole on a corner one day. Chances of that in the UK though, ha!  ;D  ???

Would I buy a set of frame braces at E389.00? Absolutely no way! Fork brace at E100? Definitely. Home brew frame brace for around E50? Worth a try.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 06:22:07 AM by dogshome »
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline dogshome

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »
RHS now on. Dark and wet outside though.

I will get the screws shortened and take the spanner ding mark out.....

They are very sturdy. When the 19mm nuts are tightened, all the slack gets pushed out. The aluminium shows no signs of wanting to slip on the tubes, they are jammed against a weld at the front and in the natural curve at the back. Will see how a few hundred miles does.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/nottinghamshires-pothole-repair-backlog-nearing-6179328
https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/anger-over-pothole-repair-branded-4904649

https://www.google.com/search?q=news+new+nottingham+pothole+repair&sxsrf=AOaemvITG4K-FfU6N94vFvlDhaXIUYUsQA:1637511967159&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiegvi476n0AhVzSfEDHdhgBC0Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=2560&bih=1329&dpr=1.5  :smash:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 10:30:48 AM by dogshome »

Offline wilcom

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2021, 10:36:43 AM »
Very nice job!!   :thumbsup:
Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS "Herr Head"
1982 BMW R65LS 
past:
1979 R65
1980 R65
1982 R80RT
1974 R90/6
1972 R75
1964 R50/2
19xx R27
ZX-11

Offline dogshome

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2021, 10:37:45 AM »
Thanks!  :)

Offline Burt

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2021, 08:28:29 PM »
You are definitely onto something with this. 

I can see myself doing something like this in the future but don't hold your breath.  I'll be printing out a copy of this thread for future reference.  One of the many, many projects to keep myself occupied during retirement. 
Black 1984 R65 - the Wombat

Offline dogshome

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2021, 06:41:30 PM »
Finally been out and the effect with 2 bars is very noticeable. The bike moves as one over bumps and poor roads. In terms of cornering it is not easy to tell. I am never at the raggy edge. I try to avoid potholes when leant over too.

A lot less vibes of the shaking kind and the solid feel I think is worth it. If the pothole catches me, I don' t think the destabilisation will be anything like.

It is much like moving from a cheap cycle frame to a handbuilt one. It's very obvious when a pushbike frame flexes and this has the same change in feel.

Still pondering the subframe, the levers are shorter and the forces less.