The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Replacement Brown Seat Cover Source  (Read 188 times)

Offline Carott

• 1980 R45/N
Replacement Brown Seat Cover Source
« on: October 11, 2021, 05:11:10 PM »
I am having trouble sourcing a brown replacement seat cover for my 1980 R45N. The original was showing a multitude of tiny cracks in the vinyl. I purchased another seat in better condition but after two summers in the sun it has deteriorated to the point of being worse than the original.
Several sources offer replacement covers but they only are available in black.
My long term plan had been to lower and narrow one of the seats to encourage my bride to get back into riding. The black covers would be fine for this but I would really like to get an original looking brown cover to preserve the factory look.
Any help is appreciated.

Brett

Offline Bob_Roller

• Global Moderator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • ? GMT -7 Hours
Re: Replacement Brown Seat Cover Source
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 07:03:04 AM »
You could do a search for an auto upholstery shop in your area and see what they can do for you .
'81 R65
'82 R65 LS ?
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

Offline Carott

• 1980 R45/N
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 09:28:05 AM »
You could do a search for an auto upholstery shop in your area and see what they can do for you .

Bob,

I am reluctant to go to an upholstery shop as they can make a decent replica but it will have stitched seams. No matter how well they try to seal the seams they all eventually leak leaving you with a wet butt and a rusty seat pan. That's why I am hoping to find something with the heat pressed patterning.

Brett

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • Mt. Olympus Resident
  • I love my Beemers
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 10:33:27 PM »
Try to find a shop that specializes in marine/boats.  Seems I remember Rob V., when he was still with us, looked and looked for what you are wanting and never could come up with anything.
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!

Online wilcom

• Mt. Olympus Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 10:49:05 AM »
Get a  black cover and paint it. When I had a Brown seat  on my 79 and went black with the body work I painted the brown seat black. I used SEM Marine Vinyl Coat..... worked well and 10 years and 40K miles later looked brand new even with my 250lb butt setting on it. Going Black was easy, :clap: hopefully they will have a shade of Brown that will match.

Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS "Herr Head"
1982 BMW R65LS 
past:
1979 R65
1980 R65
1982 R80RT
1974 R90/6
1972 R75
1964 R50/2
19xx R27
ZX-11

Offline Carott

• 1980 R45/N
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 11:08:33 AM »
Get a  black cover and paint it. When I had a Brown seat  on my 79 and went black with the body work I painted the brown seat black. I used SEM Marine Vinyl Coat..... worked well and 10 years and 40K miles later looked brand new even with my 250lb butt setting on it. Going Black was easy, :clap: hopefully they will have a shade of Brown that will match.
Joe,
Thanks for the simple solution and waking me up to see something I already knew.
This will work and it will work well. About 5 years ago I attached a Ural sidecar to my R90/6. The rusty old tub needed a lot of patches welded in and there was no seat. A good friend was doing the work for me and I had bought a $40 BLUE boat seat to use as a temporary solution until I could find a Ural seat. When he made the mounting brackets he also spray painted the seat black. It has held up extremely well and I should have remembered the solution but luckily we have this forum to remind us of the things we used to know.
Thanks again Joe.
Brett