The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Centre stand hooks  (Read 120 times)

Offline dogshome

Centre stand hooks
« on: September 30, 2021, 01:35:22 PM »
I have the sump off to have a look and a clean up as it was weeping slightly and I knew the PO had nipped bolts up before to stop it before (he told me). All good apart from when having a pull out of the screen, the suction head had one bolt hanging out  >:( The gasket was stuck tight and the other one was in fine. But there is some satisfaction that I'm not suddenly going to get a red light at speed now.

Looking at the greasy, manky centre stand springs and surrounding area I'd like to take the spring hangers out and give them a good seeing-to as well as the sump. They push up and should drop over the mushrooms in the frame but there isn't enough clearance. I don't mind loosening the lower engine bolts IF I know the frame will sprag a bit to encourage them out. SURELY one doesn't have to take the engine out to get these hooks off!????
肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline dogshome

Re: Centre stand hooks
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 05:48:59 AM »
It seems one would have to take the engine out to get at these hooks. I can't see the frame bending enough - unless someone has actually done this?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 06:02:17 AM by dogshome »

Offline dogshome

Re: Centre stand hooks
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 11:47:23 AM »
It should be possible by taking both engine bolts out, removing the spacers one side, then the other and shoving the motor left-right. Not worth it for a clean up!

The sump bolts feel weird with a new gasket. I set my smallest 3/8 torque wrench to 6NM (bottom of the scale) and was very cautious to feel for the click. Breathing on my 1/2" bar or ratchet set would probably have stripped them all out. I had previously nipped them up with a short 3/8 ratchet and as per Snowbums recommendations, that is probably the safest way. 1/4" ratchet would do it.