The member photo gallery is now integrated and live!!  All user albums and pictures have been ported from old gallery.

To register send an e-mail to admin@bmwr65.org and provide your location and desired user name.

Author Topic: Brake line spaghetti - Linguine, Stringozzi, Vermicelli or something else!  (Read 492 times)

Offline dogshome

The top of the lines on my twin Brembo 1983 R65 are starting to abrade after 30 years of movement. So, I happen to like the black stainless braided pipes and winter is coming.... I have a couple of questions about parts which the 'custom' brake line makers seem to want to run away from:

I have a BMW dealer fitted RT fairing (fitted in UK) without storage boxes and vents etc which suits the bike nicely.
RT higher bars (checked the measurements).
Standard R65 brake routing and they go through the moving black plastic shroud under the headlight rather than out the sides like the 80s and 100s that came with factory fairings.

The top line must be slightly longer that standard due to the bars.
I'd like to delete the hard lines on the callipers and the smaller stainless fittings seem to allow that with the bleed nipple next to them.

After several abortive attempts with suppliers who see "early 80's BMW non-standard" and shut the hatches down with orange beacons and sounders going off. I understand thread sizes, I can measure pipes and can look up parts online. I'm just after a bit of guidance before re-inventing the wheel  :mad:

肉(r?u)包(bāo)子(zi)打(dǎ)狗(gǒu) (meat+bun(2nd and 3rd)+hit+dog)
* Literally: To hit a dog with a meat-bun.:-O

Offline Tony Smith

• Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
For years I used to have all my brake lines made up by hose workshops as "hydraulic lines" to allow them to avoid the liability concerns associated with making up brake parts.

If I were you I would obtain the standard parts (or have modern analogues made up) to that your "hydraulic" lines run initially from the handlebar master cylinder to the standard RS/RT distributor that straddles the frame top tube. From there to the front of the fairing lower by way of solid pipe. At the fairing - "standard" braided hose lines to each of the callipers, I would retain the hard lines at the callipers as using the standard components minimizes the amount of custom work required/
1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
Won't Spiegler (sp?) make custom length brake lines?  When I was in the Army I had the hydraulic shop (I worked in aviation) make lines for my bikes.  AN fittings and steel-braided teflon core line.  Made super brake lines!

All of the SS lines I've gotten for my Beemers came from Moto-Bins...
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!

Offline Tony Smith

• Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering
To which I should have added that more recently I have bought all my brake lines from Motobins, in fact I was lucky enough to score the complete K100 set when they had them on a really good special.
1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |

Offline Justin B.

• Administrator
  • I love my Beemers
Regular price on M-B's SS lines was cheaper than rubber lines from the local dealer...
Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!

Offline dogshome

Re: Brake line spaghetti - Linguine, Stringozzi, Vermicelli or something else!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 12:43:16 PM »
Passed MOT a few weeks ago with advise that the pipes were fine. Putting front fairing back on today and - leaky flex hose crimp near the caliper. That bit looked fine  >:(

The pipes appear like standard R65 ones (ish) but are much longer. The top is around 340 and the lowers about 560. Hopefully Motorworks have seen this and supplied something similar before.

Anybody done this replacement with this arrangement of pipes who can offer any advise?

Offline dogshome

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 07:09:09 AM »
There appear to be two styles of line available:
HEL - These are completely custom made up with crimped fittings direct to the hoses.
Goodridge or Venhill - Standard length lines with a swivel each end to which you screw an adaptor.

It occurs to me that the HEL have less joints, but then the whole line is scrap if you get it wrong or decide a different fitting would work better. Also the HEL need a swivel joint adding if doing away with hard lines or you'll have a fixed twist. The built-up sort are swivel at each location anyway.

I've also seen cut your own hose using compression joints. I don't like the look of those as you have to get the cutting square and tightness spot on. Much like making off an armoured or RF screened cable gland - except those don't have any pressure behind them!

Fittings between manufacturers also vary, even if the end connections are the same. Motorworks were very helpful and confirmed M10 x 1.0, but don't have a kit or parts for my configuration. Armed with that and tape measure, I think I am good to go, once I can decide on how to achive a 45 degree bend out of the caliper with the bleed right next to it. The short hard pipes makes sense now!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 07:15:55 AM by dogshome »

Offline dogshome

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 12:52:30 PM »
The following Venhill parts fit using hard lines to the calipers as per original!

BMW R65 1983 High bars and RT fairing.
TWO OFF:
Line Builder SKU: linebuilder-3/60100AS-3/60100FAS-3H0575-BK
Fitting A 1 x M10x1 MALE CONVEX ADAPTOR, STAINLESS
Fitting B 1 x M10x1 FEMALE CONCAVE ADAPTOR, STAINLESS
1 x 575mm BLACK HOSE - 1/8 BSP SWIVEL NUTS
Hose Swivel Nut Stainless Steel Hose Support Grommet Quantity 1
ONE OFF:
Line Builder SKU: linebuilder-3/60086S-3/60082RS-3H0250-BK-110100DS-C101-1-C101-1
Fitting A 1 x M10 75 BANJO, STAINLESS
Fitting B 1 x M10 BANJO, 20 UP + 20 RIGHT, STAINLESS
Hose 1 x 250mm BLACK HOSE - 1/8 BSP SWIVEL NUTS
Banjo Bolt 2 x 10x1mm DOMED SINGLE BANJO BOLT S/S
Washer 1 2 x 10MM COPPER WASHER
Washer 2 2 x 10MM COPPER WASHER
Hose Swivel Nut Stainless Steel

Just need to tighten the cowing things up and feed it back under the clocks  :cowsleep:  :cowsleep:  :cowsleep:. Not easy with the fairing. Not hard, just annoying  :chairshot:

Then fill, bleed and check for leaks  :drowning:

Delivery was incredibly quick despite them having to make the 575 lengths (small factory on board). Pics and clock marks on helmet after test to follow  ;D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 12:55:08 PM by dogshome »

Offline dogshome

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »
All done. I would probably chose a different banjo, 45 rather than 70 on the splitter just to make it have more clearance. This is not the cheapest solution, but then no-one does a kit for my configuration. It is the going rate for other manufacturers that have a brand name. The quality of Venhill is very high. I found a tiny bit of stainless swarf in an adaptor, but definitely an exception. The amount of grot in the splitter outweighed it 10:1.

The hose clamps on my bike were always rubbish. The original R65 ones that don't guide the hoses properly for the fairing. So they are off and a solution if tie-rap bases, lined P clips and some large ties will sort it. I'm not drilling the triple tree. Not enough meat on it. Pic to follow.

No noticeable change in brakes. Lever was very firm before and hard to tell if it has changed. Maybe if I really hit them hard, but pulling up from 70MPH for an island was just as before.

I do find even with twin Brembos, a little planning is required at motorway speeds. They will never get the back end off the ground.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 12:20:04 PM by dogshome »